ESP

Some-Dude

• Members

I'm looking at an Eclipse-II.

What's the general opinion about ESP?

What's the difference between the standard line and custom line (it's a pretty significant price hike)?

How does it (the standard Eclipse) differ from a Les Paul?

I already have a couple of Les Pauls, so I'm not looking for an LP copy per se. More looking for an EMG loaded axe for metal that's similar to what I'm already used to.

• Members

General opinion? No idea. Mine? Here it is, along with 3 blurry pics.

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

I had an Eclipse II. Vintage black with EMGs. Very, very playable. Really high quality build. I liked the XJ frets. Some may not. I liked the ebony fingerboard, both in looks and in tone. I liked that it was the same scale length as my Les Pauls. I liked the belly cut, which is not typical with singlecuts. I ended up realizing, as much as I tried, that I don't like EMGs, even after I did the 18v mod. I sold it to help fund another guitar.

The custom shop prices (to me) are insane, and I can't justify them to myself. Go to the ESP boards and ask around -- ESP's reputation for delivering what the customer wants and when they want it is not as high reaching as their prices.

• Members

To clarify... I'm not talking about ordering an actual built to my specs custom shop guitar. They have a stock series referred to as the "Custom Line" of guitars. I'm wondering what the spending 3x as much gets you?

Eclipse-II - Standard Series - Generally seems to retail for around $1600 or so.

http://espguitars.com/guitars_eclipse.html

eclipse2_stbc.jpg

Eclipse Custom Series - Retails for $5000.

http://espguitars.com/guitars_esp-custom.html

eclipse-custom_stbc.jpg

• Members

my limited experience with ESP's tells me they are amazing guitars. They play great, sound great and feel great. That being said, I don't know that the custom shop model really outclasses the standard ESP.

Yes to all and to my knowledge the same staff do the Standard ESP guitars as do the custom orders (not 100% sure but I read that somewhere from what I thought was ESP literature). The only difference being that if you wanted something specific then you'd get it with the custom order.

• Members

I had an Eclipse II ( I wish I still had it) and it was a very well-made guitar. Perfect fit and finish and great playability. I would definitely get another one. If I hadn't just bought a Hamer USA Studio, I would be on the hunt for another Eclipse II.

I do not have experience with a custom ESP, however the Standard that I had was very good. It is not, however, anything like a Les Paul. The ESP has a thinner body (with a contour) and a much thinner and flatter neck.

• Members

To clarify... I'm not talking about ordering an actual built to my specs custom shop guitar. They have a stock series referred to as the "Custom Line" of guitars. I'm wondering what the spending 3x as much gets you?

Eclipse-II - Standard Series - Generally seems to retail for around $1600 or so.

eclipse2_stbc.jpg

eclipse-custom_stbc.jpg

By any chance, have you heard of Michael Kelly brand guitars? The Patriot Premium (and another model) have EMG 81/85 pickups.

The build quality on the Premium, Vintage, Custom, and the various Limited models is pretty incredible. Most of these models have ebony fingerboards, deep tenon set-in necks, abalone markers, sometimes abalone binding, Grover tuners, TonePros bridges, great pickups that are sometimes direct mounted to the body. The fingerboard and fretwork is absolutely top notch -- like what you'd expect on a MIJ ESP or a MIA PRS.

The real killer is the PRICE: $699 or less -- blows Epis, LTD, and PRS-SE right out of the water at that price for those features and quality!

If there is a downside, it may be that many of these models only have one (or two) volume and one tone control, and the switch may be in a different place than a Gibson. These particular models mentioned above, and a couple of others, are made in Korea. The Standard and a few others that sell for around $399 are made in China. The MIC models are decent guitars, but none of them have ebony fingerboards, real abalone, or esoteric features.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Premium-Electric-Guitar-515959-i1531408.gc?o=5&ipp=25&source=4WWRWXGB

patriot_premium_brd.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

CONSTRUCTION:Set-neck

BODY: Mahogany

TOP: Maple

NECK: Mahogany

FRETBOARD: Ebony

FRETS: 22 medium jumbo

SCALE: 24 3/4"

INLAY: Patriot cross

BRIDGE: TonePros

• Members

ESP are great guitars, almost bought an Eclipse myself,,,but they are not really like an LP...thinner body and neck, that coupled withthe EMG's will give you a a different tone than a LP would....i believe they make some Eclipises with Semour Duncans....i currently have a LTD PB-401 with SD P-rails in it and the the quality on it is amazing for a $500 guitar...always liked ESP's I say go for the standard though at the $1600 price range....you know for a few hundred more you can score a nice Gibson LP :)

• Members

I had a ESP Eclips II...Amazing guitar, however, as others have stated it is not an LP, nor do they sound and play like a LP.

Mine was a flame top with passive duncans.

I know of a used LTD model of the same guitar that Some-Dude posted for sale, it's mint with the factory stickers still applied and hardshell case for $550...beauty...it's at Music Center in Kenosha, WI...they just got it on trade.

• Members

I have owned and played everything from Custom Shop ESPs to low-end LTDs. Each one has been great in terms of build quality, fit, and finish. For a single cut I would go with the LTD EC1000. They are not as expensive as the ESPs and are every bit as good, IMHO.

• Members

I have owned and played everything from Custom Shop ESPs to low-end LTDs. Each one has been great in terms of build quality, fit, and finish. For a single cut I would go with the LTD EC1000. They are not as expensive as the ESPs and are every bit as good, IMHO.

How does the EC1000 compare in terms of sound and feel to the ESP version? Is the neck the same carve/body same thickness and all that stuff? Might be a cheaper way for me to find out of I like the sound/feel without dropping so much $$$$ into it.

(No ESP dealers nearby)

• Members

How does the EC1000 compare in terms of sound and feel to the ESP version? Is the neck the same carve/body same thickness and all that stuff? Might be a cheaper way for me to find out of I like the sound/feel without dropping so much $$$$ into it.

(No ESP dealers nearby)

The dimensions are the same. The only difference would be you would get the Earvana nut on the EC1000. As far as sound and how they play, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference.

• Members

I'm looking at an Eclipse-II.

What's the general opinion about ESP?

What's the difference between the standard line and custom line (it's a pretty significant price hike)?

How does it (the standard Eclipse) differ from a Les Paul?

I already have a couple of Les Pauls, so I'm not looking for an LP copy per se. More looking for an EMG loaded axe for metal that's similar to what I'm already used to.

ESP is a great company. My 4 main guitars are all ESPs. I ordered a KH-3 off of Ebay a while back (new) and it arrived with some neck buzzing problems (truss rod was loose). I contacted ESP and without ANY question they had me ship it to them and fixed the neck. They called me to let me know that it was fixed and it on the way back, the kicker is that Kirk Hammet was walking through their office that day. He actually played the guitar when he saw it was one of his custom shop sigs (this was all over the phone) and gave me the "ok" on it. Cool story eh? :cool:

• Members

eclipse2_stbc.jpg

eclipse-custom_stbc.jpg

dude....... NO. I've seen ESP's Recently, Eclipse I/II's used selling in the 4-500 range.... Don't throw that much away. Unless you truly care if your guitar has a scar on it..... Me?... {censored} it, I play mine.

• Members

They make the best Les paul Copies, go for it

The Eclipse is similar to a Les Paul only in body shape (which is a bit different). They feel, sound, a play very differently. If you mean ESP/Edwards, then yes, they do make very good Les Paul copies.

• Members

The Eclipse is similar to a Les Paul only in body shape (which is a bit different). They feel, sound, a play very differently. If you mean ESP/Edwards, then yes, they do make very good Les Paul copies.

What I meant by my statement, is that if someone is in the market to get a guitar that looks like a Les Paul, but not a Gibson-than get an ESP one. They make better Les Paul style guitars than all the other import companies.

• Members

ESP is a great company. My 4 main guitars are all ESPs. I ordered a KH-3 off of Ebay a while back (new) and it arrived with some neck buzzing problems (truss rod was loose). I contacted ESP and without ANY question they had me ship it to them and fixed the neck. They called me to let me know that it was fixed and it on the way back, the kicker is that Kirk Hammet was walking through their office that day. He actually played the guitar when he saw it was one of his custom shop sigs (this was all over the phone) and gave me the "ok" on it. Cool story eh?
:cool:

Wow that IS pretty cool!!

Archived