Removing guitar neck for shipping

KevinTJH

• Members

I noticed that a lot of sellers from the US aren't willing to ship guitars without removing the necks (bolt-on) prior to packing it. I think it's because of USPS's 42" restriction.

Are there any side affects of reassembling the neck when it arrives?

It's strange that that's the only shipping method they offer. I previously had a NECK-THRU guitar shipped to Australia from BeatStreetMusic. The guitar came in the biggest box I've ever seen (easily 50" tall) and was packed well enough to travel around the world, and they only charged $99 !

I wonder how those guys did it.

• Members

I guessing you live in Australia. There are size limitations here which can double the price of shipping for the sender. The first time I ordered a guitar with the neck detached I was nervous about how it would effect the guitar too. However, there is nothing to it and in fact it is my best strat. Google it and you will find lots of information. Do it slowly, not too tight but snug. When it is starting to get snug, switch to opposing screw and so on.

Some senders get better rates than others because they have deals going on with fedex or usps so there are major inconsistencies with shipping prices.

• Members

I guessing you live in Australia.
There are size limitations here which can double the price of shipping for the sender.
The first time I ordered a guitar with the neck detached I was nervous about how it would effect the guitar too. However, there is nothing to it and in fact it is my best strat. Google it and you will find lots of information. Do it slowly, not too tight but snug.

It's a shame that Australia is listed as one of the countries that senders are cautious about.

The only thing I'm paranoid about is the neck moving. I had a Fender strat where I removed the neck, and the neck actually moved after I put on new strings, I then had the tighten it further (ouch!) just to make sure the neck was secure. It's pretty stable now, but I wouldn't dare touch the screws anymore.

• Members

I hope the sender would have enough common sense to include that in the package.

It's a shame that Australia is listed as one of the countries that senders are cautious about.

The only thing I'm paranoid about is the neck moving. I had a Fender strat where I removed the neck, and the neck actually moved after I put on new strings, I then had the tighten it further (ouch!) just to make sure the neck was secure. It's pretty stable now, but I wouldn't dare touch the screws anymore.

It's common for the neck to readjust a little after you put your strings on. Don't sweat it, their tougher than you think if your careful.

• Members

I'm really looking into getting the RG7321, and I have not heard any good things about their stock pickups.

I am not going to argue that, because i have never heard about that guitar - but isn't there just a slight, tiny, microscopic chance that maybe the pickups could work for you?

Not the same guitar, but the same story: When i got my mim strat i read a {censored}load about them in the waiting time - and there is this consensus on the net that the stock pickups suck.

Suck, as in, golfballs through waterhoses suck. Suck as in, even indonesian budget guitars have better pickups, and so on... you probably know the drill.

Guess what, i really like my bog standard mim ceramic pickups and find that the guitar does sound nicely like a strat should...

Not saying that this applies to you, but it might?

• Members

I have both sent and received guitars w/the necks removed prior to shipping.

Not only is it less expensive, imo, it's a MUCH safer way to ship provided it's packed correctly.

Reassembly is easy, 4 bolts (or 3 :) ), tighten, but not to the point of stripping and you're good to go. Re-string and tune, then loosen the screws nearest the headstock A LITTLE, tighten the front screws a hair (might hear a "click"), tighten the rear ones again and you're done.

• Members

I bought a loaded Fender Blacktop strat body from one supplier and a neck from another .They fitted perefctly .I just screwed it together and strung it .Took about 15 minutes including unpacking it .nice guitar by the way .Pity the Mrs saw the bill .

• Members

Make sure the neck is centered before you wang the screws down.

Necks can often tilt side to side if the pocket has extra space. Once you get the strings on, make sure the strings dont

overhang the edge of the frets on either side and that the strings align with the pickup poles.

You can use the center dots as center markers for the strings.

I'm also one who thinks its dumb to change pickups without at least hearing the stock ones first, at least to determine if the new pickups are an improvement or not.

Hotter pickups = less frequency bandwidth. If you have any kind of a decent amp, you should have all the gain you need to make the guitar sound any way you want.

The exception is if the amp lacks midrange and has too much highs and lows. In that case going with high gain pickups will boost mids and roll off highs and lows.

• Members

I'm also one who thinks its dumb to change pickups without at least hearing the stock ones first, at least to determine if the new pickups are an improvement or not.

Hotter pickups = less frequency bandwidth. If you have any kind of a decent amp, you should have all the gain you need to make the guitar sound any way you want.

The exception is if the amp lacks midrange and has too much highs and lows. In that case going with high gain pickups will boost mids and roll off highs and lows.

I'm currently using a Single Rec.

I also bought a Cheapie basswood guitar previously with one of the worst pickups I've ever heard. I then replaced it with a cheap GFS humbucker (only $34) and pots, I could immediately hear a massive difference, and the guitar didn't sound cheap at all.

I guess it's my old unchangeable perception that cheap guitars don't come with pickups that bring out the best of the instrument.

I suppose I might just give the stock pickups a test drive, I just thought I could've saved myself a set of strings :lol:

Archived