Suggestions for custom guitar shops

S540

• Members

I'm considering getting a custom guitar made, if it can be done for around 1000, or less.

I have considered warmoth, but their options are limited, and the added cost of putting it together puts me well over 1200, easy.

• Members

Nope, not even close. I just don't know if it's reasonable to expect a full custom for less than off-the-rack money. If you pull it off, more power to ya'!

i feel ya, thanks for clarifying

I kinda feel the same way, but since I am new to the custom market I am not aware of all the dealers, hence why I opted to post for advice here, and as a result, have been given one hopeful option

• Members

Carvin may be your best bet. Some of their builds can be had for $1k if you are not too heavy on the options. Not a true custom but for $1K you have a tough order to fill.

carvin=yuk

just my opinion....

• Members

IIRC, Punk Kitty just got a Benford. Perhaps a pm shot in her direction. What do you want that Warmoth doesn't offer?

well for starters, they cant do much to ensure I get the right color ebony or maple I want. And, the added cost for building is a factor.

• Members

Check out Benford guitars

I would also vote for Benford although for under $1000 the OP will find his options even more limited than with Warmoth. If you want a great playing Strat or Tele with hardware of your choosing , in one of the standard finishes offered, and a modern c-profile neck with either a 9.5", 12, or 9.5-12" radius for well under $1k then you would be very hard pressed to find a better deal than a Benford. You could easily get a very nice strat/tele with upgreade pickups, tuners, and bridge for around $700

Archived