OT: been playing drums recently

xrleroyx

• Members

I got a cheap free drum set with a high hat, snare, two toms and a bass drum. All hardware included! I rigged a crash to a music stand, and all I've been doing is playing drums! anyone else try out some more rhythm based instruments? How did it affect your playing?

• Members

I can play a kit somewhat, but have gotten fairly advanced over the years at playing my drum machine live with my fingers. Easily good enough for live jamming and demo work. Unfortunately, being abble to trigger the drum machine in that way doesn't do SQUAT to help you play a real kit. The best solution will eventually be to get a very good electronic full-sized kit so I can record in silence if needed. I know I could get acceptably good on real drums with a little time to practice without having to worry about being too loud...

Learning to do fast rolls on the drums had a major influence on the way I do certain kinds of riffs----love it!! :thu:

• Members

I bought an electronic kit a few months ago. I always wanted to play drums and decided to go for it. It has made me analyze my rhythym quite a bit. I've never conciously counted when I played guitar, playing very instinctively. Now I've been doing a ton of counting when I'm playing guitar and I have noticed that my rhythmic feel is much tighter.

• Members

I practice for 5-10 minutes every week, when my drummer goes out to take a leak or fetch more beers during rehearsal. I can keep a simple 4/4 rhythm at first, but I start to lose control after a minute or two.

If I had the space/time/money/etc I'd love to pick up a kit and improve. I occasionally run a local blues/rock jam session when the guy who usually does it is away - sometimes we're short of a drummer especially early on in the evening, and it would be good to be able to fill in.

Archived