Seeking Opinions Re: Kustom The Contender

Cobalt Blue

• Members

Don't have one either, but....

I have the Kustom Tube 12 A. Basically the same thing. Tube preamp, solid state output. Nice little amp.

Like it so much I got an all tube Kustom 5H too. Sounds good, but I don't get enough gain from mine. Put a dirt pedal on it, and it feeds back like a bitch. The cure, which I haven't tried yet, is a better output transformer. Really can't complain for 85 bucks.

• Members

Thank you for your comments. I need a new amp badly, and I want something small and "bluesy" Trying to decide between a ZT Lunchbox, The Contender, and maybe a Champ XD (I like the XD's modelling options, but I prefer simplicity infinitely more).

I know the best test would be to audition the amps by plugging in and playing, but I'm afraid that that is not possible.

• Members

I've never herd the Contender, but I did screw around with an SCXD at a Guitar Center. SCXD is 3 times as much $ as my tube 12A, twice as much $ as the Contender. SCXD is definitely more than 3 times better than a tube 12As. PROBABLY twice as good as the Contender. If you can afford the SCXD, that would be my vote. For that much money, going used, the possibilities are endless.

• Members

I bought a ZT Lunchbox with high hopes; in fact, I really liked what I heard when I plugged into it at the store. However, after listening to it at home without ambient noise, store music and a couple of others playing I really didn't like it.

My favorite attribute was that it it's built like a brick outhouse, and the finish is pretty cool. Sadly, the tone was not included in that list. Although, there are a few on here that have them and love them.

• Members

Thanks again, everyone.

In that the SCXD is in a different price range, can someone offer an opinion re: Contender vs ZT Lunchbox?

Hi, sorry can't give you a Contender vs ZT Lunchbox opinion, but I do own a Contender, and I must say it's really rather wonderful!

It's one of those amps that produces a sound that exceeds the sum of its parts

• Members

cantplay4sugar,

Thank you for an excellent, detailed review.

No worries, I picked this thread up on a SE and figured it'd be worth joining this forum just to give my tuppence worth. There seems to be a real lack of info out there for this amp.

I came across this the other day, it's a pretty good representation of the Contender at a low gain setting, and how well it reacts to player dynamics...

So I'm curious, what have you decided to get?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just plugged my Parker P36 into the Kustom Contender, and all I can say is "Wow." At last! This is the sound I've heard in my head (besides all the voices, of course) for such a very long time. Thanks for the encouragement, all. And especially, thanks to cantplay4sugar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, I love this amp.

I did buy a Mustang 1 also (it arrived yesterday) because...well, for a number of reasons, one being that I've read that the Fender models are accurate, but it's going to be difficult, I believe, for the Mustang I to take the place of The Contender. (I haven't taken the Mustang I out of its packaging yet: too busy.)

I had hoped to post clips of The Contender a week ago, using the new Agile Harm that I just purchased-- the Agile is a great guitar; I like it even more now than I did during the first days of the honeymoon--but I've just been too busy to record any clips.

(I haven't given up on the notion of doing so, though.)

But to answer your question again, I still love The Contender.

And I will try to post clips this weekend (or soon), using either the Agile Harm or my beloved Yamaha Pacifica 302s.

• Members

Yes, I love this amp.

And I
will try
to post clips this weekend (or soon)

:poke: Must try harder!

Only kidding! :lol:

So how are you getting on with the settings? I swear, with the bypass enabled you'd hardly know there wasn't a valve in the power section. So responsive!

I read the other day that changing the tube on the Contender does actually affect the tone, even though it's a hybrid (I also read that with most hybrids, it doesn't). Not sure if it's because the Contender is a high voltage design? Whatever, I read that putting a JJ tesla in there, warms things up a touch :thu:

• Members

Interested to hear your impressions as I currently have the Mustang II.

I'm just thinking maybe I might like something with tubes since I have a modeling pedal (RP350) already for variation and headphone practice.

I have a RP150. My impression of it was, it's a great bang for the buck, if you are just starting out, but "real" pedals sound so much better. Amps were, Kustom tube 12A, "hybrid, tube preamp SS output, and an older Crate SS head. Kept it cuz, probably wouldn't get anything for it, and it's the only guitar to computer thingy I have.

Hadn't used it for 6 months, but I dug it out, and it's power supply. The Kustom Defender, little 5 watt all tube head I got, feeds back, and I remembered the RP150 has a noise gate. Wow!! I totally changed my mind about the RP150. You read other people's opinions on here, and you think, "what an idiot", or "the guy must be deaf". It really, really depends what else something is hooked up to.

I think you can "get away" with digital, if the output of the amp is tube. I think that's why I like the SCXD so much. It's a hybrid like the Kustom tube 12A, but it's backwards, SS first, then tube.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

I know that resurrected threads are sometimes frowned upon, but I thought I should update this thread--for the archives, at least.

I just private messaged cantplay4sugar because, as I told him, I remain extremely grateful to him for his guidance in regard to The Contender: I continue to love this amp.

Often there are threads regarding recommendations for small amps, and The Contender is rarely mentioned. But if you are looking for a small amp, The Contender is definitely one you should consider.

Also, I do have clips now, if any interest remains.

Archived