Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I saw this clip ...and now I need to know about Fuzz!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuzz pedals work by forcing the input signal into a square-wave output signal...this results in the signal sounding "fuzzy"...as opposed to an OD/Distortion pedal which emphasizes even-numbered harmonics, same as a tube amp...

Fuzz's TEND to reward single-note playing and can get a little mushy when playing chords...

Comment

My fave fuzz is on the Beatles' Revolution. I read that it's just the guitars fed directly into the board, and 'turning it to 11'. And they apparently permanently damaged that channel in the mixer! I think a great fuzz has a ripping quality, like tearing paper! I have a Big Muff Pi, a double muff nano, and a Behringer Ultra Fuzz, all have their unique qualities.-Adam
      Originally Posted by nicholai

He seems to like bacon a lot......

Originally Posted by Luigi

Jesus probably doesn't love everyone, especially ****************************s. He probably wants to punch them but He won't. That's what makes him Jesus.

Originally Posted by GuitarNoobie

...we should be talking about the national debt, the number of incarcerated citizens in this country(the prison industrial complex), the military industrial complex, the so called war on drugs and corporations/banks that are running over people and buying our politicians...

Comment

Fuzz's TEND to reward single-note playing and can get a little mushy when playing chords...

I tend to feel the same way. I like them for leads but don't care much for them with chords or rhythm playing. Maybe I just haven't heard the right one yet.
        "You won't like me when I'm angry because I back up my rage with facts and documented sources" ~ The Credible Hulk

Comment

Tonebender! Is Jimmy Page an Alien from the future? Hes using an angled plug on his tele...weird

1:55-1:57=awesome

stuff:
          52RI Tele
          Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
          more stuff:
          65 Twin Reverb Reissue
          Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I tend to feel the same way. I like them for leads but don't care much for them with chords or rhythm playing. Maybe I just haven't heard the right one yet.

it's more from their nature...I don't think the mushiness is something they can fix...

Comment

the germanium fuzz clean up with the volume knob

stuff:
              52RI Tele
              Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
              more stuff:
              65 Twin Reverb Reissue
              Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I've been using fuzz primarily in my indie rock band, but also when appropriate, in various cover projects. As has been mentioned, many of the classic tones you hear from the 60's were gotten with fuzz devices. Most types do lend themselves better to single note lines or powerchords, but that's not always the case. There are certain ones with plenty of note definition. Thing is, fuzzes might take a little more tweaking than your average OD pedal to get it to work just right with the combination you're using. But when you get it right, it will sound like Godzilla trampling Tokyo.

Comment

I love listening to people play with it, there are some great examples of what I consider to be great including Gilmour and Eric Johnson (both strat players...interesting). But anytime I try to dial in some fuzz it turns into mush and noise. I do wonder if going strat into fuzz and concentrating on single note riffs wouldn't help a hell of a lot though.

I think I'm going to go grab that GP tomorrow.
                  AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

I love listening to people play with it, there are some great examples of what I consider to be great including Gilmour and Eric Johnson (both strat players...interesting). But anytime I try to dial in some fuzz it turns into mush and noise. I do wonder if going strat into fuzz and concentrating on single note riffs wouldn't help a hell of a lot though.

I think I'm going to go grab that GP tomorrow.

I have said it before and will say it again; SSS Strat + Fuzz + Tube Amp =

Comment

Do you guys that have Fuzz pedals use them for particular music or are they a general purpose distortion that you like to have?

Let's put it this way...the bulk of Hendrix's sound was a Strat + a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face + a cranked up Marshal stack. Lot of early Gilmour, too.

If you're into that sort of thing......

Comment

Yes^^^^^^^^

It's a beautiful thing.

And ugly, as you want.
                        Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

I've got a distortion pedal but it doesn't see that much use with the amp I have now since the amp distortion I like better. But it doesn't sound like the pharaoh

Fuzz is something that you can't quite get out of an amp.
                          "No one ever goes to heaven deservingly
                          and no one ever goes to hell unwillingly."
                          -CS Lewis

Comment

Fuzz is something that you can't quite get out of an amp.

Kind of, there are a few amps that do fuzz very nice - some of the old Oranges, many of the Matamps, all of the Electric Amp Innovations, and some old Sunns.
                            Brian H. - GBT #261, Super Awesome Gibson VM Les Paul Club, SG Army, Epiphone Empire

Facebook: Orthodox Fuzz
                            Reverbnation: Orthodox Fuzz
                            Twitter: Orthodox Fuzz

Main Gear: Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute, Gibson Les Paul VM, Gibson Faded Flying V, Epi Les Paul Custom, 77 Ibanez 2350CS Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton II, Orange Rockerverb 100, Orange PPC412 cab, Sunn (O))) Enforcer head, 70s Sunn 4x12, Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo

Comment

Listen to Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream. He used an IC-Big Muff for most of it.
                              Good deals with: emoore, jerryboy, jedd, Julka, Stooges_Fan, mrmjp, tRagerEffects, teleman, Lonnie99, jimtalkbox, Tupelo Son, Jim Hunter, billly budapest, bxxandy

Comment

I love fuzz pedals. For me, I use them mostly for heavy riff-based music like the Black Keys, White Stripes. And for soloing like Hendrix stuff. I don't use them for a whole song, I would stomp on it when it's time for the riff or solo.

Here's an example from the Black Keys of how I use it (note how he first stomps on it at around 09):

I have a Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face, EHX Big Muff PI, MJM Britbender, EHX Double Muff (mix of fuzz and overdrive) and DOD FX-52 Classic Fuzz. My favorite tone-wise is probably the Fuzz Face, but I like how the Big Muff and DOD give me more fuzz control options (even though they don't clean up like a Fuzz Face) with their tone knobs.

Oh and single coils work better with most fuzz pedals, even though they give off more feedback, the tone is more defined.

For me, I need both fuzz and regular overdrive/distortion... they sound so different that I need both for my music. Fuzz for special over-the-top riffing and solos, and OD/distortion for more regular playing.
                                Originally Posted by Michael Scott

That's what she said.

Favorite Bands/Influences:
                                Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, early Scorpions, Jack White/White Stripes, Eric Gales, Michael Landau, Andy Timmons, Greg Howe, Otis Rush, early Clapton, Zeppelin, The Who, Arthur Lee & Love, Deep Purple, Animals as Leaders, the Dirtbombs, Black Keys, Freddie King

Comment

Working...
                                X