Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every time I take my guitar out of its case...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...You realize you didn't complete your thread title?

That is referred to as setting the hook.

"No one ever goes to heaven deservingly
    and no one ever goes to hell unwillingly."
    -CS Lewis

Comment

OP, as you can see this is a phenomenon that is to be expected. If it bothers you that much, give up on life and become a drummer.
      There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

I still don't understand the physics... but it happens. Flat I get, sharp makes no sense to me. But quite common.
        Visit Crash Pad at:
        http://CrashPadBand.com
        CONSUME!:
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
        Gear List/Pics:
        https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

This is the correct answer. It's simple physics. The wood on your guitar has more mass and only contracts a small amount while the strings contract more. That means the guitar SHOULD be sharp. If it isn't you may have tuners slipping, sloppy string winding or something else physically wrong with the guitar. When you find a guitar that's sharp, but still in tune with itself when pulled out of the case, keep that mutha!

THANK YOU.

That's the first simple, cogent explanation of this phenom that I've seen.
          Visit Crash Pad at:
          http://CrashPadBand.com
          CONSUME!:
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
          Gear List/Pics:
          https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

I never believed those people who say that their guitar always stay in tune. Metal expands and contracts depending on the temperature, that's how thermostats used to work.

Some of us have FR/Edge equipped guitars. Or Steinbergers. Those stay in tune for a very long time.
            Guitar picture, Gear List, Clip List and travel pics from Peru, Sri Lanka, Mexico and Indonesia. Bonus: Some pics from Denmark too.

Comment

It's temperature and humidity change that does it. I tried to tune my friends guitar in front of his fireplace once. I'll only do it once and never again. It was untuneable until I moved into the other room.
              Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Well, the first thing you have to do is find and capture the tuning gremlins that are probably living in your case, or perhaps even in your guitar. They like to hide in the cracks and crevices... inside folded paper, guitar string packs, etc. They are pretty hard to see with the naked eye. Your best bet is to trap them. You do this by putting sticky double-sided tape on your tuning buttons. Leave it overnight, and the next morning put on a pair of leather gloves and tightly squeeze each tuning button... hopefully you will kill them. Do this a couple times and that should take care of your tuning problem. You can also spray your guitar down with bug killer (that's what tuning gremlins really are... just little annoying bugs). If you do this, you should test it first in an area like under the pickguard to make sure it won't harm your finish. Poly is usually OK,... I don't recommend using it on nitro.

...or you can do what everyone else is suggesting... just tune your guitar each time. Your choice.

Good luck!

... damnit, i wish i knew how to sig stuff... too damn funny...

to the OP... all 11 of mine do this... nothing to worry about...
                GUITARS:
                Fender MIM Standard Strat
                Hand Made SG Replica
                Epiphone DOT Studio
                Westbury Standard
                Cort X-5
                New Dawn Signature Prototype
                Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                AMPS:
                Crate VC3112
                Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

always sharp for me too...great, thought also there was something wrong...

Comment

GDan I apologize for my smartass reply...custometele is right, sharp is good.
                    Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
                    1st generation Irish

Comment

I still don't understand the physics... but it happens. Flat I get, sharp makes no sense to me. But quite common.

This may help. I'm an airplane mech. Take a small airplane like, say, a Cessna 150 with aluminum construction and steel flight control cables. As you go up in altitude the temperatures drop considerably. That means the flight control cables will get tighter right? Wrong. Aluminum expands and contracts more with temp changes than steel. So these cables actually become looser. The airplane has contracted more than the cables meaning less distance between the points contacting the cables.
                      The wood in a guitar has way more mass than them skinny little strings. So they will contract more than that big guitar. So the exact opposite happens. A guitar warms up by coming in contact with your body. So this process reverses itself as you play.
                      There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

This may help. I'm an airplane mech. Take a small airplane like, say, a Cessna 150 with aluminum construction and steel flight control cables. As you go up in altitude the temperatures drop considerably. That means the flight control cables will get tighter right? Wrong. Aluminum expands and contracts more with temp changes than steel. So these cables actually become looser. The airplane has contracted more than the cables meaning less distance between the points contacting the cables.
                        The wood in a guitar has way more mass than them skinny little strings. So they will contract more than that big guitar. So the exact opposite happens. A guitar warms up by coming in contact with your body. So this process reverses itself as you play.

An excellent illustration!
                        Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Humidity and temperature changes will do this.
                          ***Please check out some of my songs. Thanks!***
                          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=789610

Comment

Working...
                          X