what is your take on this guitar

Guitarist+

• Members

This is my current guitar, a Peavey Orange County Choppers

do you think it would be a wiser investment to get a different guitar to play metal, or should I upgrade the pickup / tuners / etc on this one?

The upper fret access is a nightmare, but in reality, the type of music I play I rarely need the 21st-22nd frets anyway.

occ.jpg

• Members

So YOU'RE the guy that bought it?!?! I know that Peavey only sold like 1 of that model, and I've always wondered who was dumb enough to buy it hehehehe Too bad you didn't get the bike with the holster to put it in..

:cry:

Its not a bad guitar in terms of comfort in my opinion, just obviously being a wal-mart guitar if you want a nice tone you are gonna have to make some changes

• Members

Do you like it? Because that's all that really matters. If you're looking to spend money, forums like these will spend you into the poorhouse. They'll either tell you that you have to buy instruments worth thousands to be any good, or that you have to have 900 different cheap guitars to "cover all the bases". Both are bull{censored}. Play what you like. Tell everybody else to {censored} off.

• Members

I love the guitar... I think I'm gonna end up upgrading the parts. Probably get a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, get Grover tuners on there, get a nut that can handle thicker strings (my .54 on the low E doesn't quite fit right)...

speaking of, where do I buy nuts at, and how do I know what string gauges they are meant for?

• Members

I love the guitar... I think I'm gonna end up upgrading the parts. Probably get a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, get Grover tuners on there, get a nut that can handle thicker strings (my .54 on the low E doesn't quite fit right)...

speaking of, where do I buy nuts at, and how do I know what string gauges they are meant for?

You probably don't need a new nut. Just a tech that can set up the instrument for you. They can file the nut to accept the new string gauge. The only reason to need a new nut is if you decide to go back down on string gauge and the strings rattle in the oversized grooves. The tuners are probably ok too. They likely need to be tightened. Also should be part of a setup.

• Members

I don't care if it's from Walmart or Ed Roman or Sam Ash or whomever... The fact that it is associated with OCC is the part I was giving you grief over. I watched that episode and they were all hyped over that guitar and how it would revolutionize the guitar world. Then they did the debut and it was hideous compared to the fanfare.

Play your guitar and love your guitar, by all means.

• Members

You could go to Guitar Center if you like pissing your money away. Find a reputable tech. Not the hacks that work in GC.

How would I go about doing that... and really do you think it would be that hard for a GC employee to sand down a nut? It seems like something I could do and I've never done it before, not to mention I just found out you COULD do it.

• Members

I'm not a metal guy, but I think that's actually a pretty cool design. The design looks unique, a bit radical, but yet still ergonomic. It looks like the sculpted out portions would allow you to rest it comfortably sitting either in a conventional right thigh position or moved forward into a left thigh classical guitar position.

• Members

How would I go about doing that... and really do you think it would be that hard for a GC employee to sand down a nut? It seems like something I could do and I've never done it before, not to mention I just found out you COULD do it.

It's actually one of the more delicate tasks you can ask a technician to do. Just because it's new to you doesn't make it easy.

In this golden age of the internet, I'm certain you can find other music stores in your area and call to find out their rates regarding the job you're looking to do. Maybe read some reviews or actually ask friends and other musicians what they think of those places.

• Members

The only music store I know of in my area other than GC that does repairs is one called Cyber Music Gear... and their gear is expensive as hell so I imagine their services are steep aswell

Never hurts to call and find out. I'd also rather pay $100 for a setup by a technician who actually knows what he's doing than $75 to a GC contractor.

• Members

Just to sand down a nut...?

A good setup, will include sanding or correcting or even cutting a good nut. It's the most important element in determining how your guitar will feel to you when playing. A well cut nut will turn a guitar that feels hard and stiff to play into an easy to play piece of silk. A good nut will avoid tunning problems in the future and and help with string breakage.

I would easily pay $100 for a good setup if it included nut work. $20 at GC? I wouldn't even make the drive. You can learn to do your own nut work but it takes tools and skills. It goes way beyond "sanding it down".

• Members

A good setup, will include sanding or correcting or even cutting a good nut. It's the most important element in determining how your guitar will feel to you when playing. A well cut nut will turn a guitar that feels hard and stiff to play into an easy to play piece of silk. A good nut will avoid tunning problems in the future and and help with string breakage.

I would easily pay $100 for a good setup if it included nut work. $20 at GC? I wouldn't even make the drive.

Exactly.

• Members

It's a roll of the dice with GC techs. We have two local GCs and they each sent a guy to 'tech school'. One guy really knew what he was doing before said schoolin'... the other guy... I'd trust him with a pickup install or to solder an output jack, but no way would I trust him for nut work.

To open up nut slots isn't that hard if you have the proper files... hell, I've made due with a $10 set of Chinese mini files and sandpaper but to get the best out of the nut, you have to know what you're doing. A little too deep and your strings will rattle against the frets. A little too high and the lower fretted notes will be a bit sharp vs at the 12th fret. A little too tight and the strings will bind and go out of tune when bending and will generally be harder to tune.... a little too loose and you might get unexpected results when bending as the strings slides across the nut... if the slot is cut at to shallow of an angle, you will get sitar like tones on the open unwound strings...

Having said that, I suspect if he messes anything up or does any of those things wrong, they'll have to fix/replace it but in general, I'd expect trouble from letting a Guitar Center tech do any nut work.

My personal take is that if that were my guitar and I didn't want to do the work myself, I'd try to find a actual, known competent tech and have him install a NEW Graph Tech nut, slot it properly and do a basic setup and I'd skip the tuners for now if the budget doesn't allow for that work.

Edit: As for the guitar itself... it looks pretty metal to me. If it is properly set up, it will do the job and I'm sure with the right pickup, it will sound all kinds of metal.

Archived