X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your take on this guitar

This is my current guitar, a Peavey Orange County Choppers

do you think it would be a wiser investment to get a different guitar to play metal, or should I upgrade the pickup / tuners / etc on this one?

The upper fret access is a nightmare, but in reality, the type of music I play I rarely need the 21st-22nd frets anyway.
    Originally Posted by Ultrahighgain

...and there it is. The mind is no more than a chemical reaction and when life ends conciousness simply ceases to exist.

Peavey OCC Guitar
    Marshall MG10
    Ernie Ball .010-.052
    Dunlop Tortex .88
    Live Wire Cables

That looks just dandy for sum metalz
    Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
    Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
    Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Comment

That looks just dandy for sum metalz

I thought so too.

...and there it is. The mind is no more than a chemical reaction and when life ends conciousness simply ceases to exist.

Peavey OCC Guitar
      Marshall MG10
      Ernie Ball .010-.052
      Dunlop Tortex .88
      Live Wire Cables

Comment

So YOU'RE the guy that bought it?!?! I know that Peavey only sold like 1 of that model, and I've always wondered who was dumb enough to buy it hehehehe Too bad you didn't get the bike with the holster to put it in..
        Signature...

Comment

So YOU'RE the guy that bought it?!?! I know that Peavey only sold like 1 of that model, and I've always wondered who was dumb enough to buy it hehehehe Too bad you didn't get the bike with the holster to put it in..

Its not a bad guitar in terms of comfort in my opinion, just obviously being a wal-mart guitar if you want a nice tone you are gonna have to make some changes

Peavey OCC Guitar
          Marshall MG10
          Ernie Ball .010-.052
          Dunlop Tortex .88
          Live Wire Cables

Comment

Do you like it? Because that's all that really matters. If you're looking to spend money, forums like these will spend you into the poorhouse. They'll either tell you that you have to buy instruments worth thousands to be any good, or that you have to have 900 different cheap guitars to "cover all the bases". Both are bull****************. Play what you like. Tell everybody else to **************** off.
            The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I love the guitar... I think I'm gonna end up upgrading the parts. Probably get a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, get Grover tuners on there, get a nut that can handle thicker strings (my .54 on the low E doesn't quite fit right)...

speaking of, where do I buy nuts at, and how do I know what string gauges they are meant for?

Peavey OCC Guitar
              Marshall MG10
              Ernie Ball .010-.052
              Dunlop Tortex .88
              Live Wire Cables

Comment

I love the guitar... I think I'm gonna end up upgrading the parts. Probably get a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, get Grover tuners on there, get a nut that can handle thicker strings (my .54 on the low E doesn't quite fit right)...

speaking of, where do I buy nuts at, and how do I know what string gauges they are meant for?

You probably don't need a new nut. Just a tech that can set up the instrument for you. They can file the nut to accept the new string gauge. The only reason to need a new nut is if you decide to go back down on string gauge and the strings rattle in the oversized grooves. The tuners are probably ok too. They likely need to be tightened. Also should be part of a setup.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Would I be able to get a guitar center tech to do that for me? I can probably ask him to tomorrow when I drop the guitar off to get the input jack resoldered.

Peavey OCC Guitar
                  Marshall MG10
                  Ernie Ball .010-.052
                  Dunlop Tortex .88
                  Live Wire Cables

Comment

I don't care if it's from Walmart or Ed Roman or Sam Ash or whomever... The fact that it is associated with OCC is the part I was giving you grief over. I watched that episode and they were all hyped over that guitar and how it would revolutionize the guitar world. Then they did the debut and it was hideous compared to the fanfare.

Play your guitar and love your guitar, by all means.
                    Signature...

Comment

Would I be able to get a guitar center tech to do that for me? I can probably ask him to tomorrow when I drop the guitar off to get the input jack resoldered.

You could go to Guitar Center if you like pissing your money away. Find a reputable tech. Not the hacks that work in GC.

Comment

You could go to Guitar Center if you like pissing your money away. Find a reputable tech. Not the hacks that work in GC.

How would I go about doing that... and really do you think it would be that hard for a GC employee to sand down a nut? It seems like something I could do and I've never done it before, not to mention I just found out you COULD do it.

Peavey OCC Guitar
                        Marshall MG10
                        Ernie Ball .010-.052
                        Dunlop Tortex .88
                        Live Wire Cables

Comment

I'm not a metal guy, but I think that's actually a pretty cool design. The design looks unique, a bit radical, but yet still ergonomic. It looks like the sculpted out portions would allow you to rest it comfortably sitting either in a conventional right thigh position or moved forward into a left thigh classical guitar position.
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

One of the employees at guitar center thought it was really cool, too.

To me it just looks like a funky explorer

Peavey OCC Guitar
                            Marshall MG10
                            Ernie Ball .010-.052
                            Dunlop Tortex .88
                            Live Wire Cables

Comment

How would I go about doing that... and really do you think it would be that hard for a GC employee to sand down a nut? It seems like something I could do and I've never done it before, not to mention I just found out you COULD do it.

It's actually one of the more delicate tasks you can ask a technician to do. Just because it's new to you doesn't make it easy.

In this golden age of the internet, I'm certain you can find other music stores in your area and call to find out their rates regarding the job you're looking to do. Maybe read some reviews or actually ask friends and other musicians what they think of those places.

Comment

Working...
                              X