need pricing advice on getting a p/u slot routed

S540

• Members

A guitar I am highly considering a guitar that will need to be top-routed routed for a neck p/u.

I have been given estimates in the ballpark of around 100-150, depending how much additional routing is needed for wiring, as well as how much work will go into the rewiring. Does this sound about right?

• Members

A guitar I am highly considering a guitar that will need to be top-routed routed for a neck p/u.

I have been given estimates in the ballpark of around 100-150, depending how much additional routing is needed for wiring, as well as how much work will go into the rewiring. Does this sound about right?

I would say that's about right. $50 is standard for a routine pup swap by most techs... which takes about half an hour. Routing requires quite a bit more skill and appropriate tools. Is there a neck p/u already? If so it is highly unlikely it will need additional routing for wiring.

• Members

I would say that's about right. $50 is standard for a routine pup swap by most techs... which takes about half an hour. Routing requires quite a bit more skill and appropriate tools. Is there a neck p/u already? If so it is highly unlikely it will need additional routing for wiring.

Here locally we charge $35-$50 per route & wire drilling depending on the pickup cavity route needed. For a pickup swap with NO set up, fret dress or string change = $25 for a 2 pickup changeout.

• Members

Here locally we charge $35-$50 per route & wire drilling depending on the pickup cavity route needed. For a pickup swap with NO set up, fret dress or string change = $25 for a 2 pickup changeout.

Next time I visit gulf shoes I may bring my axe to your shop :)

• Members

Your rates are very reasonable. You must get a lot of customers. Congrats. :thu:

• Members

I charge depending on difficulty. If its extremely hard wood with and arched top and expensive

instrument I'd likely charge more than an old flatop beater made of softer wood.

Routing isnt all that hard though. Its something you can learn to do yourself.

get yourself a dremmil with a new router tip and router jig. Then get an extra metal pickup ring.

Align the ring CAREFULLY so its properly aligned and screw it into place and tape off the area with some thick cardboard so

any accidental slips wont damage the finish.

Then measure off how deep the trench needs to be with

the total length of the dremmil tip.

Then tale a razor knife and cut through the finish into the wood around the

inside of the pup ring. This will prevent damage to the finish or wood beyond the ring.

Then its just a matter of removing the bulk off wood in the center and doing a smooth cut around the edges,

When it gets close to being done, you have to stop and try the pickup out to see if it fits.

The areas where the screws mount the pup need to have more removed on the sides.

You can route the cavity deeper below the ring if needed but leave the top 1.4 inch or so nor bigger than needed.

You can smooth the bottom and sides with a sanding disk and get a pro look happening.

Then for drilling the hole for the wire you need to buy an extra long drill bit and drill the hole through to the control cavity.

You could also route it with a larher router, but unless you use those often, you dont get the knack of using them and can screw a guitar up good

if you dont know what you're doing. A drill press is another good option taking out the bulk of material. You can set those for a maximum depth and get some precise

work done. You still need a dremmil for touch up work though. If you use a hand drull to remove the bulk material, be sure to use a depth limiter.

A ghand drill can slip[ and you can wind up punching a hole through the back of the instrument.

If none of that sounds like its doable, have it done by someone who knows how. It shouldnt cost more than $50 for a medium priced guitar.

• Members

the above post is good! bravo sir. It's not hard to do really if yall want to do it. someone mentioned my prices being reasonable. it don't take long and much to do it. so i can't see getting a $100 an hour for something that takes no time at all.

these should help the do it your selfer, put some thin double stick tape on it and positon it where you want it. Counter sink a couple of screws in the holes to make sure they don't move and go.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Templates/Pickup_Routing_Templates.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=16.17843&tgtiid=1096

• Members

Since most guitars DO have a neck pickup, what, exactly, are you trying to do? Mr Clubber's advice was the first thing I thought of, as well. The equivalent question on the 944 board where I used to hang out (rennlist) was: "bought an automatic, how do I convert it to a manual?", or "how do I turbocharge a naturally aspirated 944?" The answer, of course, being: "sell it and buy a manual/turbo".

Archived