Got two decent pedals today. Would love some input on settings

chimi

• Members

For the last few years i've been using my 15 watt Vox modelling amp. A few months ago i got a Fender Princeton Chorus and decided to make that my #1 because of the amazing clean sound (btw for those who read my previous post on the weird screeching noise it was resolved!)

I did want a decent OD/Distortion pedal and i posted a few threads here about those. Not feeling like spending my own cash i put up one of my beat up guitars that i don't play. I was able to trade it for a Boss-DS1 and an Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain pedal. I feel like between these two i should be able to cover a lot of Classic Rock/Alternative sounds as well as the more modern stuff.

Currently i have a PRS SE Custom Singlecut and have been playing the last 2 Whitesnake albums on repeat (Good to Be Bad and Forevermore).

I would love to get that nice thick tone that Doug Aldrich has with some nice bottom end. Any suggestions as to how to dial it in? Also one of my favorite guitar players is Jerry Cantrell and i love his tone on Degradation trip. While i understand i can only get so close with my setup any input would be great!

• Members

Ok, quick review. The holy stain is so freaking noisy. A weird humming sound eminates from it which makes it almost impossible to do anything with. The Boss is not too bad, but it's not quite getting me to that super saturated fat sound that i have in my head. Close but a bit too trebbly and fuzzy sounding.

• Members

I can't comment on the HS but the Boss DS-1 i(I have one right here on my desk.) s known not to deliver a fat or organic tone. Thank God I only paid $15 for mine!

If you're going to keep yours, a mod might be in order.

I would have to agree. The DS-1 was my first pedal (it was cheap) and I never was able to really get any sounds I liked out of it. I actually got a 2nd one free when I ordered my Strat so I sold one on CL and keep the other on hand in case I need to take advantage of a GC trade-in coupon deal.

And sorry, no experience with the Holy Stain.

Archived