Unhappy NGD

JR13

• Members

So I caved and bought of the Gibson Les Paul Special Single Cutaways for $800 from MF. I've only heard horror stories about Gibson's QC so I made sure I could return it. Guitar arrived today with the selector switch broken off and a black line in the finish running down the body beside the neck joint. Guess I should have listened to my own advice to my friends and not bought a Gibson :facepalm:

on the bright side I'll be using the money from it to build a tele :idea:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:thu:

I think you're making the right choice with the Tele, especially building it yourself but don't worry, the gibson fanboys will be here in no time to say you're full of {censored} and your story about a defective gibson can't possibly be true or at best... one in a million.

• Members

here's a cell phone pic.

downsize.jpg

I wouldn't say the switch being broken is a big deal. its easy to see how it could snap being in the case. And the black line isn't very noticeable. I just think that its unacceptable for a guitar that sells for $1300 to have basic flaws like that..

• Members

I think you're making the right choice with the Tele, especially building it yourself but don't worry, the gibson fanboys will be here in no time to say you're full of {censored} and your story about a defective gibson can't possibly be true or at best... one in a million.

you're right. Honestly I was already in the mindset that if I didn't love everything about this guitar I was gonna return it. Looks like I need to shoot mark jenny an email now.. :idea:

• Members

I would almost consider myself a Gibson fanboy - I love them. That said, I'd never buy one without playing it first. Their QC is notoriously bad. The good ones are great, but there are definite duds. One in a million? No way. I was shopping for a Faded SG, and I played three duds in a row, and the last one had a hump in the fretboard. When shopping for a 339 (which I just recently bought), at the first store I went to, the 339 I played had multiple errors in the binding. It looked like an amateur put it on. I was stoked to find on that didn't have any QC issues.

To the OP - sucks that your guitar didn't come in the condition it should have, but I hope you enjoy the future Tele!

• Members

here's a cell phone pic.

downsize.jpg

I wouldn't say the switch being broken is a big deal. its easy to see how it could snap being in the case. And the black line isn't very noticeable. I just think that its unacceptable for a guitar that sells for $1300 to have basic flaws like that..

I played a couple of those at Guitar Center this weekend. However, the ones I played had bound necks. They had a dark brown one and a rather dark red one. Both were flawless. They were asking $999.00. I haven't been able to find them on the web. All the ones I find either don't have a bound neck or they are the historic versions (way too pricey).

Gibson does have their QC issues (every company does) but when you find a good one it's very good. Sometimes I think that these big box stores ship out product without looking at it.

• Members

you're right. Honestly I was already in the mindset that if I didn't love everything about this guitar I was gonna return it. Looks like I need to shoot mark jenny an email now..
:idea:

What do you have planned for that Tele?

If I were building one now, it would have to be an aged Thinline, with a P90 in the neck position and a standard Tele bridge. 9.5 radius on a soft V neck.

:love::love::love:

• Members

you're right. Honestly I was already in the mindset that if I didn't love everything about this guitar I was gonna return it. Looks like I need to shoot mark jenny an email now..
:idea:

Mark Jenny is the way to go... I have a Dakota Red Tele from him and it is awesome. I've been thinking about selling it, but don't get too excited, my buddy has first dibs. :D

• Members

What do you have planned for that Tele?

If I were building one now, it would have to be an aged Thinline, with a P90 in the neck position and a standard Tele bridge. 9.5 radius on a soft V neck.

:love:

I was thinking a classic tele in sonic blue... but now you've got me looking at the thinlines... shell pink thinline :love:

..Do you know any guitars I can find at guitar center that have a soft V neck tot ry out? I honestly can't recall playing a guitar with one... gotta explore my options ;)

• Members

I was thinking a classic tele in sonic blue... but now you've got me looking at the thinlines... shell pink thinline

..Do you know any guitars I can find at guitar center that have a soft V neck tot ry out? I honestly can't recall playing a guitar with one... gotta explore my options
;)

Sure. Try Fender's Baja Tele. That's exactly the neck I'm talking about. Maybe you could have one of those on a Mark Jenny body?

• Members

if i'm gonna spend that kind of money on a guitar, i shouldn't have to play 30 to find a good nor should i have to worry about buying sight unseen... for that kinda' scrilla it should be perfect...

Exactly.

You'd think with the high prices and all the "Only a Gibson is good enough" poser thing, they could at least get their {censored} together and you wouldn't have to go through 30 to find a good one.

• Members

That's just bad luck. I've ordered over 40 Gibsons, most online, and the only problem was one with a bad 3-way switch.

Not saying there aren't bad ones out there, but you certainly don't have to go through 30 to find a good one like some people like to exaggerate around here...

• Members

That's just bad luck. I've ordered over 40 Gibsons, most online, and the only problem was one with a bad 3-way switch.

Not saying there aren't bad ones out there, but you certainly don't have to go through 30 to find a good one like some people like to exaggerate around here...

See? What did I tell you?

roflmao.gif

• Members

But this has always been your MO, and I expected no less when I made my post.

• Members

here's a cell phone pic.

downsize.jpg

I really like the case.

For $1300.00 you should seriously take a look at the Godin line. An XTSA or one of the ICON series are really, really nice for around $1000.00.

• Members

that's the entire point though... for what they charge for the {censored}ing things, there should never, NEVER be a bad one that leaves the factory... you don't here near as much negativity about Fender or PRS... and i mean for Chris'ts sake, if the Chinese can produce a $130 SX that's perfect as far as fit and finish goes, the "so proud to be made in the USA" workers at Gibson should damn well be able to...

• Members

I think there is a bit of difference between sharing my experience with Gibson what you told us:

But this has always been your MO, and I expected no less when I made my post.

Oh lighten up fanboy! It's just a funny and continue enjoying your 40 gibsons!

• Members

that's the entire point though... for what they charge for the {censored}ing things, there should never, NEVER be a bad one that leaves the factory... you don't here near as much negativity about Fender or PRS... and i mean for Chris'ts sake, if a little Chinaman can produce a $130 SX that's perfect as far as fit and finish goes, the "so proud to be made in the USA" workers at Gibson should damn well be able to...

I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression that the phrase "little Chinaman" is derogatory.

Archived