Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unhappy NGD

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we see this little black mark that's causing all this debate on Gibson's QC? I mean, switch tip isn't their fault. Is the black line above or below the finish? Anytime you have something made by humans, it's going to have some little flaw. (I've yet to find it on my LP Classic). And I think Cars and Guitars are perfectly comparable, in terms of what you get for your money. I've yet to see a new Gibson with QC issues. Used ones yes, new no.
    Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
    Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
    Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
    FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

And Godin manages to do it with "parts made in Canada and assembled in the USA," or, as Fender would phrase it, "American."

I have a pricematch email from Music 123 for this Gibson, and the wife's blessing for an upcoming birthday, but I think I'm going to let it go.

FYI, Godin also makes some necks for Fender as part of their MIA (North America) line. Which leads to the question, then why are the Mexican Fenders called MIM, since Mexico, also is part of North America?
      Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

How is it that the broken switch is Gibson's issue and not Musician's Friend? It could easily have broken in transit. If the black line is a marking that is an issue. If it's minerals in the wood, it's not.

Comment

How is it that the broken switch is Gibson's issue and not Musician's Friend? It could easily have broken in transit. If the black line is a marking that is an issue. If it's minerals in the wood, it's not.

The switch isn't Gibson's issue or musicians friend really. Just bad luck really. You guys have convinced me to mess around with it some today and see if I wanna just get another one instead of flat out returning it.
          Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

Also I think it's mildly entertaining about the finish mark being a problem for you, when you're thinking about buying a relic'd guitar. But if you're not happy you're not happy. MF will make it right.
            Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
            Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
            FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

I know I'll get yelled at by the "Gibson QC Police" for saying this.... but I have 4 Gibsons I've ordered from MF that are flawless and better than I'd even hoped they would be.
              "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
              - John Lennon
              Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
              Epiphone Empire
              F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
              Marshall Circle of Tone
              SG ARMY

Comment

I know I'll get yelled at by the "Gibson QC Police" for saying this.... but I have 4 Gibsons I've ordered from MF that are flawless and better than I'd even hoped they would be.

Better quite while you're ahead. According the the HCEG Gibson experts, the next 120 you play should be severely flawed before you'll be due to see another good one...

Comment

Well, I'm flabbergasted; I thought Gibson only ever made 3 good guitars!
                  Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Also I think it's mildly entertaining about the finish mark being a problem for you, when you're thinking about buying a relic'd guitar. But if you're not happy you're not happy. MF will make it right.

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to point that out!

Comment

Just to clarify guys, I'm not saying Gibson sucks. Gibson makes great guitars. Like any company they have great guitars and they have not so great ones. You've gotta play a bunch to find the one that fits you. Its probably my mistake for buying a guitar without seeing/ playing it first. The more i look at it the more i think the black streak is jut the way the finish came out in that particular spot. When I was playing it though I noticed scratches in the finish on the top of the neck which I was able to get a picture of. I'm torn between trying one more time and getting a Mark Jenny. I really like the way this guitar sounds...

Heres a pic of the scratches:

ps. I want my Mark Jenny closet clean. I'm gonna relic it by playing it
                      Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

Dang! I think even most of the Gibson fans would return that.

Comment

The scratches are a bit weird, but I would think those would buff out as you played it. Looks like they forgot to buff after dressing the frets flat to the neck. Can you feel the scratches while you play, or is it only visual? I dunno. I guess to me, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if you're not happy don't deal with it.

Comment

I got my Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded yesterday and it has sharp fret ends. I've bought $200 guitar without that kind of a problem. I was shocked and I've since called zzounds for a replacement. I've never returned a guitar that I bought online. I suppose if this was a $200 guitar I would have just done the work myself or had the frets dressed by a tech but for a handmade guitar to come out like that is unacceptable in my opinion. I've read people's criticism of Gibson on this site and now I've had a bad experience. It was only my second Gibson purchase too. There is a reason a company like Honda has such a good name. It is the consistency and quality of their product. I don't see how Gibson can afford to send out shotty work like that.
                            Good trader/seller: Woody_in_MN, GibsonQC, m90guy, maltomario, drmojoxl, RockinIt, souperman08, Hand Amputation, D-log

Comment

I got my Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded yesterday and it has sharp fret ends. I've bought $200 guitar without that kind of a problem. I was shocked and I've since called zzounds for a replacement. I've never returned a guitar that I bought online. I suppose if this was a $200 guitar I would have just done the work myself or had the frets dressed by a tech but for a handmade guitar to come out like that is unacceptable in my opinion. I've read people's criticism of Gibson on this site and now I've had a bad experience. It was only my second Gibson purchase too. There is a reason a company like Honda has such a good name. It is the consistency and quality of their product. I don't see how Gibson can afford to send out shotty work like that.

That's why they over charge for a lot of their guitars. It's so customers like you can find out what should have been done and then they can talk about how they are continually improving on the QC. It's all marketing lads.

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you; I was so close to ordering one in white.

What are you, some kind of guitar racist ?

Comment

Working...
                                X