Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like the case.

For $1300.00 you should seriously take a look at the Godin line. An XTSA or one of the ICON series are really, really nice for around $1000.00.

And Godin manages to do it with "parts made in Canada and assembled in the USA," or, as Fender would phrase it, "American."

I have a pricematch email from Music 123 for this Gibson, and the wife's blessing for an upcoming birthday, but I think I'm going to let it go.

Comment

The Koreans and the Chinese have much better quality control than Gibson. The reason people treasure their "good Gibsons" is because they have a certain "rare" quality about them. I own two Gibsons and I love them, but for what I paid for them the "little things" are the most annoying- those "little things" DO NOT exist in some of the cheaper guitars I have or have owned.

PS- why is "Chinaman" a derogatory term but "Irishman" or "Frenchman" or "Englishman" is not?

The same reason any word is considered derogatory - the connotation attached to it.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you; I was so close to ordering one in white.
        Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

Send it back and get another one!
          My Gear:
          2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
          2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
          Takamine acoustic
          Fender P-Bass

Comment

I've had tons of Asian guitars and a few Gibsons. No way is that true. Hell even my most recent 2011 Studio faded is flawless, no Korean or Chinese import I've owned were at that level and I'm definitely not a Gibson fanboy.

I have two recent Gibsons and several imports. The Gibsons have finish flaws and other minor issues that the imports DO NOT. The Gibsons cost 10x more. Case closed. A Gibson at the price they ask should NEVER have any of the issues they do.
            Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Creativity is a Work Ethic

Comment

The same reason any word is considered derogatory - the connotation attached to it.

When someone says "Chinaman" I think "some guy from China" I think white suburban people are so PC that it's actually offensive because it illustrates their own thinly veiled racism.
              Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Creativity is a Work Ethic

Comment

How does it sound?

Comment

Mark Jenny is the way to go... I have a Dakota Red Tele from him and it is awesome. I've been thinking about selling it, but don't get too excited, my buddy has first dibs.

pics of the telecaster?

Don't think I've ever seen one in Dakota Red (love that color).
                  I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

When someone says "Chinaman" I think "some guy from China" I think white suburban people are so PC that it's actually offensive because it illustrates their own thinly veiled racism.

You kind of ignored what kayd_mon said.

What he said was correct.
                    I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll

Comment

I'd just send it back for an exchange. I can't imagine life without a good deal in the house on a Gibson LP Special.
                      A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

pics of the telecaster?

Don't think I've ever seen one in Dakota Red (love that color).

Mark Jenny Tele:

Comment

I have two recent Gibsons and several imports. The Gibsons have finish flaws and other minor issues that the imports DO NOT. The Gibsons cost 10x more. Case closed. A Gibson at the price they ask should NEVER have any of the issues they do.

I guess I don't get this sentiment, given that the gap in material quality between the two can be, in my experience, pretty great. Cheaper materials all around, but it's flawless! It's like comparing an M5 to a Chevy Malibu, and going with the Malibu because the Bimmer has some finish imperfections. Granted, there are some exceptions - Japan's Fujigen plant, Eastman and similar facilities in China - but those are just that - exceptions.

OH, and to the OP: Can't recommend Mark Jenny's work enough. Dude is a treat to deal with, uses good parts and, of course, does excellent finish work. Absolutely love my CAR double-bound Tele.
                          I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Why dont you send it back for a new one?
                            Gear:
                            Cort m200 (with SD 59/JB combo)
                            Ampeg Dan Armstrong
                            Gibson Firebird Studio
                            Gibson Explorer x2 (natural/white)
                            Gibson LP studio
                            Squier Tele Custom II
                            Godin LG EMG
                            Hello Kitty Strat
                            Edwards LPC
                            Jackson COW 6
                            Jim Root Strat
                            ESP Eclipse I DBSB
                            Billy Corgan Strat
                            50s Tribute Goldtop HB
                            Squier Mini Strat
                            Fender Cabronita Tele

Comment

Changed your mind mid-stream, nothing wrong with that. Pretty sure you would've found something wrong with it regardless since you shifted from LP to Tele gas.

In my case, I would have played it and if it sounded and played good, just attended to the switch (take the concession if possible as well). The analogy Poolshark made is the way I think as well.
                              My 9/11 Tribute Song: https://vimeo.com/49284582

The 9/11 Wall of Shame (caught stepping in it):
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s4_dkKn8Y
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Xoxaf1Al0
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPzAakHPpk
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7uJ...feature=relmfu
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU961SGps8g

Comment

lol

I guess I don't get this sentiment, given that the gap in material quality between the two can be, in my experience, pretty great. Cheaper materials all around, but it's flawless! It's like comparing an M5 to a Chevy Malibu, and going with the Malibu because the Bimmer has some finish imperfections. Granted, there are some exceptions - Japan's Fujigen plant, Eastman and similar facilities in China - but those are just that - exceptions.

OH, and to the OP: Can't recommend Mark Jenny's work enough. Dude is a treat to deal with, uses good parts and, of course, does excellent finish work. Absolutely love my CAR double-bound Tele.

Oh for ****************sake, YOU CANNOT COMPARE CARS TO GUITARS, the analogy does not work. It's pretty much akin to comparing apples to door knobs.

The point is that for what a Gibson costs, they should be flawless PERIOD!

And FYI, I never made any reference to the quality of materials in my SX example, I was referring only to the fit and finish. I do have some personal experience, I just sold an SX Gold Top that was absolutely imaculate.
                                GUITARS:
                                Fender MIM Standard Strat
                                Hand Made SG Replica
                                Epiphone DOT Studio
                                Westbury Standard
                                Cort X-5
                                New Dawn Signature Prototype
                                Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                                Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                                AMPS:
                                Crate VC3112
                                Fender Mustang II