Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy NGD

So I caved and bought of the Gibson Les Paul Special Single Cutaways for $800 from MF. I've only heard horror stories about Gibson's QC so I made sure I could return it. Guitar arrived today with the selector switch broken off and a black line in the finish running down the body beside the neck joint. Guess I should have listened to my own advice to my friends and not bought a Gibson

on the bright side I'll be using the money from it to build a tele
    Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

tough luck, is very bad?
    an PICS

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Man. It's hard to buy a guitar sight unseen.
      2006 PRS Singlecut Trem Satin Blue Matteo
      2006 Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic 69 Stratocaster
      Eleven Rack
      Kurzweil PC88
      Kurzweil K2600
      DSI Prophet 08
      "http://www.youtube.com/user/mnewb1

Comment

I think you're making the right choice with the Tele, especially building it yourself but don't worry, the gibson fanboys will be here in no time to say you're full of **************** and your story about a defective gibson can't possibly be true or at best... one in a million.

Comment

here's a cell phone pic.

I wouldn't say the switch being broken is a big deal. its easy to see how it could snap being in the case. And the black line isn't very noticeable. I just think that its unacceptable for a guitar that sells for $1300 to have basic flaws like that..

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Comment

I think you're making the right choice with the Tele, especially building it yourself but don't worry, the gibson fanboys will be here in no time to say you're full of **************** and your story about a defective gibson can't possibly be true or at best... one in a million.

you're right. Honestly I was already in the mindset that if I didn't love everything about this guitar I was gonna return it. Looks like I need to shoot mark jenny an email now..

Comment

Seems like you're giving up awfully easy!
              >>>Click here for my list of smooooov deals!

Comment

I would almost consider myself a Gibson fanboy - I love them. That said, I'd never buy one without playing it first. Their QC is notoriously bad. The good ones are great, but there are definite duds. One in a million? No way. I was shopping for a Faded SG, and I played three duds in a row, and the last one had a hump in the fretboard. When shopping for a 339 (which I just recently bought), at the first store I went to, the 339 I played had multiple errors in the binding. It looked like an amateur put it on. I was stoked to find on that didn't have any QC issues.

To the OP - sucks that your guitar didn't come in the condition it should have, but I hope you enjoy the future Tele!
                Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

here's a cell phone pic.

I wouldn't say the switch being broken is a big deal. its easy to see how it could snap being in the case. And the black line isn't very noticeable. I just think that its unacceptable for a guitar that sells for $1300 to have basic flaws like that..

I played a couple of those at Guitar Center this weekend. However, the ones I played had bound necks. They had a dark brown one and a rather dark red one. Both were flawless. They were asking $999.00. I haven't been able to find them on the web. All the ones I find either don't have a bound neck or they are the historic versions (way too pricey).

Gibson does have their QC issues (every company does) but when you find a good one it's very good. Sometimes I think that these big box stores ship out product without looking at it.
                  (Various Guitars of no interest but to me)

Comment

Have you contacted MF and told them about the problems? They usually will offer you some money back to keep it. And if you play hardball, they may offer you a lot. That is if you like the guitar.
                    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
                    Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

you're right. Honestly I was already in the mindset that if I didn't love everything about this guitar I was gonna return it. Looks like I need to shoot mark jenny an email now..

What do you have planned for that Tele?
                      If I were building one now, it would have to be an aged Thinline, with a P90 in the neck position and a standard Tele bridge. 9.5 radius on a soft V neck.

Comment

Mark Jenny is the way to go... I have a Dakota Red Tele from him and it is awesome. I've been thinking about selling it, but don't get too excited, my buddy has first dibs.

Comment

What do you have planned for that Tele?
                          If I were building one now, it would have to be an aged Thinline, with a P90 in the neck position and a standard Tele bridge. 9.5 radius on a soft V neck.

I was thinking a classic tele in sonic blue... but now you've got me looking at the thinlines... shell pink thinline

..Do you know any guitars I can find at guitar center that have a soft V neck tot ry out? I honestly can't recall playing a guitar with one... gotta explore my options

Comment

That sucks. I'm at the point where I won't buy any guitar without playing it first.

Comment

I was thinking a classic tele in sonic blue... but now you've got me looking at the thinlines... shell pink thinline

..Do you know any guitars I can find at guitar center that have a soft V neck tot ry out? I honestly can't recall playing a guitar with one... gotta explore my options

Sure. Try Fender's Baja Tele. That's exactly the neck I'm talking about. Maybe you could have one of those on a Mark Jenny body?

Comment

Working...
                              X