Roland GR-55 Synthesizer-Your Thoughts-Good or Bad?

Steadfastly

• Members

I tried one in the store for about an hour ...... totally jaw dropping.

The sequence patches were a little on the wimpy side IMO, but the pianos/strings/winds etc were very very good.

ie for the flute patch, if you vibrato a note, you hear a perfect trill instead, at the same speed as you bend.

I then dialled up the harpsichord patch and played some Bach ....... This thing is amazing.

• Members

As a long time Roland guitar synth user, I currently own a GR33 and VG99, but I'm always interested when Roland comes out with a new GR model (and usually wind up getting it). I've played the GR55 twice, once in a music store and once at at the Roland/Boss booth at a guitar show. I was impressed with the improved tracking - always an issue with guitar synths. I also liked the synth sounds in the GR55. However, I can't say I was impressed with the regular (modeled) guitar sounds. I was trying to get just a clean guitar tone that I liked, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. It's very possible that with some editing I could easily create it, but I didn't get into that at the store or the show. But there was also something that didn't feel quite right about the way the guitar sounds played. I can't put my finger on it exactly (no pun intended) but it didn't feel quite "natural". I'd have to spend some more time with the unit to figure that out.

When it first came out, I figured I'd sell my GR33 so I could play live with just the GR55 and not have to use an external multi-fx unit to get my guitar sounds. But I'd have to see that I could get the guitar sounds out of it that I need before I went for that. I really "want" to like it, but am not sold on it yet. Having said that, there's probably a good chance that I'll probably end up getting one eventually, especially when they start showing up on the used market.

• Members

I'm really interested in the GR-55.

I record at home with a Axon 100 and a Roland pickup tacked on to my Variax, works great with my Logic softsynths. I'd love to get a GR-55, maybe try it in a live situation but the recesion got me strapped these days.

• Members

I'm really interested in the GR-55.

I record at home with a Axon 100 and a Roland pickup tacked on to my Variax, works great with my Logic softsynths. I'd love to get a GR-55, maybe try it in a live situation but the recesion got me strapped these days.

Yes, they are a little pricey as far as effects go. But they are top notch in quality and performance IMHO. I was going to get a Line HD500 but for about $200.00 more I can get a GR-55 and I think I will.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I can't seem to find a recent topic so I am posting to this one.

I have a GR55 and love it. So much so , that I decided to get a US20 [as the Joness GK xpander is no longer available] and then wanted to find a clean GR33 to run in tandem for some other sounds.

Well, I found a new old stock boxed Gr33 sans the pickup, and snapped it up. it's beautiful !

Got it today and began tinkering with it, a bit easier to set up than the 55, but I am wondering why there is such a power , rather perceived volume difference between the 2 units.?

If I put the volume on my 55 up past noon on the unit, it is super loud through my vintage Roland Keyboard Cube 60.

I dime the 33 and its nowhere near the same perceived volume output. Volume pedal up and patch volume dimed at 100 as well . Some patches get close as they cycle, but most are quiet comparatively.

What's the deal ?

I am also wondering can I import certain patches from the 33 to the 55 [obviously not the arpeg and harmonist stuff]

OR , can I simply run the 33 into the 55 and control it from the 55 getting the volume from the 55 , or am I way off base here ?

There are some really cool synth patches on the 33 and I love the arpeggiator option, but the 33 is sort of a one trick pony compared to the 55, to the point I almost regret the purchase, especially with this volume issue.

It's functioning fine as far as I can tell.

Advice please.

thanks,

• Members

I've not tried a GR55, but my GR33 has a high output and gives the basic guitar signal a very big boost with the volume control at 12 o'clock.

I have a Godin xtSA, and used to run the electric side out separately. Haven't used the unit for a few years now due to connection issues (should probably get another cable - the weak point of this system).

Archived