Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland GR-55 Synthesizer-Your Thoughts-Good or Bad?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland GR-55 Synthesizer-Your Thoughts-Good or Bad?

What are your thoughts on Rolands GR-55 Synthesizer? They are not cheap (around $600.00) but would you like to own one?

Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

I tried one in the store for about an hour ...... totally jaw dropping.

The sequence patches were a little on the wimpy side IMO, but the pianos/strings/winds etc were very very good.

ie for the flute patch, if you vibrato a note, you hear a perfect trill instead, at the same speed as you bend.

I then dialled up the harpsichord patch and played some Bach ....... This thing is amazing.

Comment

As a long time Roland guitar synth user, I currently own a GR33 and VG99, but I'm always interested when Roland comes out with a new GR model (and usually wind up getting it). I've played the GR55 twice, once in a music store and once at at the Roland/Boss booth at a guitar show. I was impressed with the improved tracking - always an issue with guitar synths. I also liked the synth sounds in the GR55. However, I can't say I was impressed with the regular (modeled) guitar sounds. I was trying to get just a clean guitar tone that I liked, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. It's very possible that with some editing I could easily create it, but I didn't get into that at the store or the show. But there was also something that didn't feel quite right about the way the guitar sounds played. I can't put my finger on it exactly (no pun intended) but it didn't feel quite "natural". I'd have to spend some more time with the unit to figure that out.

When it first came out, I figured I'd sell my GR33 so I could play live with just the GR55 and not have to use an external multi-fx unit to get my guitar sounds. But I'd have to see that I could get the guitar sounds out of it that I need before I went for that. I really "want" to like it, but am not sold on it yet. Having said that, there's probably a good chance that I'll probably end up getting one eventually, especially when they start showing up on the used market.

Comment

I'm really interested in the GR-55.

I record at home with a Axon 100 and a Roland pickup tacked on to my Variax, works great with my Logic softsynths. I'd love to get a GR-55, maybe try it in a live situation but the recesion got me strapped these days.
        http://www.myspace.com/399453211

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=276061

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails

Comment

I'm really interested in the GR-55.

I record at home with a Axon 100 and a Roland pickup tacked on to my Variax, works great with my Logic softsynths. I'd love to get a GR-55, maybe try it in a live situation but the recesion got me strapped these days.

Yes, they are a little pricey as far as effects go. But they are top notch in quality and performance IMHO. I was going to get a Line HD500 but for about $200.00 more I can get a GR-55 and I think I will.
          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Working...
          X