Gibson SG vs. ESP Viper

table

• Members

I think you'll get more of a full tone on the Gibson.

I just recently picked up the EC400 (LP shaped) ESP with the Duncans. Nice, but it loses it a bit on the lower spectrum. The EMGs of course are a different animal so it would be hard to contrast that with the Gibson.

The ESP might be a bit better suited for metal and the Gibson might fit classic rock a bit better than the ESP.

• Members

ive owned both.....i liked both.....but the gibson is slightly better in all areas unless you NEED 24 frets, which i did not. I liked the sound of each, but they were very different, and if i could only have one (which happened to be the case) the gibson wins.

But i only miss 2 guitars i ever sold (and there have been quite a few) and the viper was one of them.

really, you cant go wrong, but IMO the gibson wins in every way

• Members

LTDs and ESPs are two totally different things. The Gibson wins over the LTD Viper, but the ESP Viper would smoke the Gibson, imo.

DOH! this is true, mine was LTD, and still came very close the gibson. The ESP probably is better.

One other thing, is that the viper is almost twice as thick, and therefore almost twice as heavy, but not nearly as neck heavy....these are good things IMO...still getting used to how thin the SG is.

• Members

2 points:

1. Comparing Gibson to ESP is not the same as comparing Gibson to ESP LTD (LTD is their lower line). I bet the ESP uses better woods than the LTD and thus likely has better resonance and sound.

2. ESP has a neck volute so the neck is much less likely to snap off (which is relatively common on SGs)

One other thing, is that the viper is almost twice as thick, and therefore almost twice as heavy

The Vipers are heavier but not twice as heavy: Gibson 5-6 lbs Viper 7-8 lbs.

• Members

Funny how people's thinking is -- the Gibson better suited for classic rock? WTF?

SGs are one of the mainstays of metal in the past and to this day. You want to hear some heavy ass stuff, listen to Down or COC for instance. Huge numbers of doom bands use SGs, and there is little else that is that heavy on this planet as say Electric Wizard or Devil to Pay (who play SGs). Can't forget even the new Sabbath stuff. Hardly classic rock. Lots of the more modern bands are using SGs as well.

• Members

My comments and I believe those of others weren't at all that you don't use an SG for metal. But having recently bought an ESP EC400, I was hearing more blaring mids and highs than I hear on my 4 SGs, but less bass. That's what I was referring to. And that ESP tone I'm hearing combined with high gain => a good match for metal. I also have an early MIJ ESP "The Eclipse" w 81s and it's also better toned for high gain applications. I mean, I've heard some very tasty clips here on HCEG of a '51 being used for metal so no comments should be viewed as excluding. ;)

• Members

In my opinion the sg is a much more versatile guitar. The sg is great for rock and blues but can be used for jazz and country. Just look at Derek Trucks. He plays such a wide variety of music on the sg. The emg pickups can really only be used for metal. Terrible blues sound from the emgs. If your into metal than the emg is your guitar but otherwise get the sg.

• Members

the real one.

:lol:

I'd go sg, unless your strictly playing metal the viper will look kinda akward. I like the normal shape of the sg more than the offset viper body too. Having said that I've never played a viper, I know esp does build some fine guitars.

• Members

Go with the Viper. The LTD might be ESPs lower end but its as much quality as any Gibson Ive ever played. I have both and ESP Eclipse Standard and an LTD EC 1000 and the quality is very much alike, yet the EC 1000 totally puts my Gibson Les Paul Standard to shame, and the Eclispe Standard is made way better than the Gibson.

I used to have a Gibson SG Standard which was a very nice guitar. Sold it and bought a LTD Viper 1000 and then bought an ESP Viper Standard. Coulnt be happier.

ESPs and LTDs are incredible guitars, very high quality instruments. And dont let anyone tell you that they are one trick guitars and can only do metal. I play metal, hard rock and classic rock. I would much rather use my ESP Eclipse than my Gibson Les Paul to play Zeppelin, and yes they are fitted with EMGs, which are good for any type of music, just like any other pick up.

Archived