Best Speaker For a Hot Rod Deluxe?

steve_man

• Members

Okay...I like the tone I'm getting out of my Hot Rod Deluxe. Sold the original speaker out of it, and put a Celestion 70/80 in it. I like the tones...but this has me curious. What speakers have you guys used in the Hot Rod series amps? Do you have any clips? Would be interested to hear your perspective on the different speakers. Would need to have great clean tone, but also work well with distortion (pedals).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gone English and American and the HRD adapts well to either. I put JJ 6V6's in it and a Vintage 30 and it really brought out the mids. I think my favourite was an Eminence Texas Heat that tightened up the flabby bottom but still emphasized the full tonal range and handled distortion fantastically.

• Members

For clean and dirty, I would lean toward one of the C12N/British hybrids. Reverend really put them on the map with the Alltone 1250, but they don't sell 'em anymore. A Weber 12A/F150B is their Vintage Series version, but I've heard their Sig 12 budget speaker is a C12N/British hybrid as well. Others that may be worth looking at are the Eminence Private jack and Warehouse G12C.

• Members

It's not what speaker is best. It is what style of music are you looking to play through this amp. Than we would have a better chance at telling you what speakers will sound best for those types of tones.

• Members

I'd go with a ceramic Weber Michigan for a 50/50 mix of great cleans and great gain tones. It's a bit bottom heavy so if you mostly use HBs and tend to dial in some chunk, you'll have to dial it out with the Michigan.

If you lean more towards cleans and cranked power tube tones rather than preamp dirt and pedal dirt, the Weber 12A150 would get my vote though I'd NOT get it for AC/DC and higher amounts of gain. Doc Morbius had a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe for a while with the P12N and it sounded a lot better than a stock HRD, but I think the 12A150 and 12F150 sound similar, but just more responsive and more balanced. Unless you were comparing them back to back, there's probably not really a tremendous difference, but I'd go for one of the Webers over the current Italian Jensen jobbies.

I also really like the Silver Bell, but it adds enough of its own character that I can understand why some folks wouldn't like it. For Fender cleans and Tweed-ish levels of cranked-ness, you can do a whole lot worse in my opinion.

For cleans, any of these will absolutely KILL the Seventy 80. The Seventy 80 is pretty good for gain tones, but pretty lacking for cleans and 'cranked clean' tones which are my bread and butter.

• Members

yeah, grabbed the Seventy 80 because I could get it for a good price. Big improvement (IMO) over the stock speaker. I have heard a lot of people suggest the Cannibus Rex. I'm not really wanting serious vintage tone... I play mostly in church these days, so I'm not doing a lot of high-gain stuff. Mostly light to moderate breakup...usually using pedals or my M13. Not a huge fan of the Hot Rod's gain channel. However, I've owned a couple Hot Rods...and I like them. Just kinda looking to tinker around with it a bit, as I bought it used...and feel like it would be okay. My AC15, however...can't bring myself to touch that one...:D

• Members

For some reason a lot of people seem to rag on the Seventy/80, but I've found it to be a very decent speaker that doesn't end up costing as much as an amp. I know some of you may be shocked, but I think there may be just a bit of snobbery and cork-sniffery in the speaker world. :eek:

• Members

I've run mine with the stock Eminence speaker and my 2x12 cab at the same time and got interesting results. The Eminence helped retain that more traditional Fender sound while the Celestions (g12h30 and V30) helped bring out some more aggressive mids.

With just V30 and G12h30 it shifts the voicing considerably. It has that distinct Celestion feel so depending on style that may be a good thing? I prefer the Celestions over the stock Eminence. Great cleans and helps get some more clarity out of stock dirt channel.

• Members

Yeah, I like the Celestion in mine...however, I had some Eminence Private Jacks in my AC50, and they sounded great... Wish there was a shop with a wall of speakers you could plug into to try them out.

This would be the single most amazing gift anyone could give guitarists. Buying speakers is such a crap-shoot since it's impossible to realistically try them out within the confines of your rig, or even next to one another. This makes the market ripe for snake-oil like tactics on selling speakers. If most car audio stores and wal-mart can figure out how to put multiple speakers for users to test out I would imagine Guitar Center could as well. Get the staples from eminence and Celestion in a similar set up. At least at their flagship stores. I would drive 60 miles just to get the chance to try out many speakers head to head in a semi-controlled scenario. This is off topic. Continue on gentleman.

Archived