No announcement yet.

Best Speaker For a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Speaker For a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Okay...I like the tone I'm getting out of my Hot Rod Deluxe. Sold the original speaker out of it, and put a Celestion 70/80 in it. I like the tones...but this has me curious. What speakers have you guys used in the Hot Rod series amps? Do you have any clips? Would be interested to hear your perspective on the different speakers. Would need to have great clean tone, but also work well with distortion (pedals).
    My Gear:
    2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
    2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
    2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
    Takamine acoustic

I've gone English and American and the HRD adapts well to either. I put JJ 6V6's in it and a Vintage 30 and it really brought out the mids. I think my favourite was an Eminence Texas Heat that tightened up the flabby bottom but still emphasized the full tonal range and handled distortion fantastically.

Comment

The only variation I liked from this amp was a Weber Alnico speaker combined with the Tube Amp Doctor Attenuator.
      "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

V30 for life

Comment

I've read that Dave at Omega Amps recommends the Cannabis Rex. I would tend to trust his advice since he is well known for his mods of the HRDs.

Comment

Weber F-12150, right number IIRC. Had one in mine, was great.
            ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

I put a Jensen P12N in mine and it really sounded great.
              New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

Subjective thread is subjective.

Comment

For clean and dirty, I would lean toward one of the C12N/British hybrids. Reverend really put them on the map with the Alltone 1250, but they don't sell 'em anymore. A Weber 12A/F150B is their Vintage Series version, but I've heard their Sig 12 budget speaker is a C12N/British hybrid as well. Others that may be worth looking at are the Eminence Private jack and Warehouse G12C.

Comment

Eminence Red, White, and Blues.
                    My Gear:

2007 Carvin Bolt-T (NOW with Dimarzio Air Zone/Cruiser set)
                    2002 Les Paul Classic (with Dimarzio PAF Classics)
                    2003 MIA Standard Strat (with GFS Boston Blues)

1990 Randall Pro Tube 1000
                    1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Pedalboard:
                    Korg Pitchblack, Barber Tone Press, Bearfoot HBOD, Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz, Bearfoot Model H, Timmy, Mooer Eleclady, Mooer Ensemble King, TC Electronics Flashback X4, TC Electronics Arena Reverb

Comment

I like the JJs and Vintage 30 combo and use it in both my HRD and BDri.
                      HCGB Trooper #24

Comment

It's not what speaker is best. It is what style of music are you looking to play through this amp. Than we would have a better chance at telling you what speakers will sound best for those types of tones.

Comment

I'd go with a ceramic Weber Michigan for a 50/50 mix of great cleans and great gain tones. It's a bit bottom heavy so if you mostly use HBs and tend to dial in some chunk, you'll have to dial it out with the Michigan.

If you lean more towards cleans and cranked power tube tones rather than preamp dirt and pedal dirt, the Weber 12A150 would get my vote though I'd NOT get it for AC/DC and higher amounts of gain. Doc Morbius had a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe for a while with the P12N and it sounded a lot better than a stock HRD, but I think the 12A150 and 12F150 sound similar, but just more responsive and more balanced. Unless you were comparing them back to back, there's probably not really a tremendous difference, but I'd go for one of the Webers over the current Italian Jensen jobbies.

I also really like the Silver Bell, but it adds enough of its own character that I can understand why some folks wouldn't like it. For Fender cleans and Tweed-ish levels of cranked-ness, you can do a whole lot worse in my opinion.

For cleans, any of these will absolutely KILL the Seventy 80. The Seventy 80 is pretty good for gain tones, but pretty lacking for cleans and 'cranked clean' tones which are my bread and butter.
                          Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

yeah, grabbed the Seventy 80 because I could get it for a good price. Big improvement (IMO) over the stock speaker. I have heard a lot of people suggest the Cannibus Rex. I'm not really wanting serious vintage tone... I play mostly in church these days, so I'm not doing a lot of high-gain stuff. Mostly light to moderate breakup...usually using pedals or my M13. Not a huge fan of the Hot Rod's gain channel. However, I've owned a couple Hot Rods...and I like them. Just kinda looking to tinker around with it a bit, as I bought it used...and feel like it would be okay. My AC15, however...can't bring myself to touch that one...
                            My Gear:
                            2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                            2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
                            Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
                            2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
                            Takamine acoustic

Comment

I think that an Eminence Swamp Thang would sound good in there.
                              Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Working...
                              X