What's up with all the EVH lovers here? To me he is just a glorified tap guitarist.

billybilly

• Members

Look, I'm not saying in his prime he couldn't play but he seems really over-rated on this forum.

He certainly has become a product of his addictions and with age, has got worse.

In my opinion, there are many better guitar players out there, many.

[video=youtube;VnYvIfG9Vb4]

[video=youtube;cV87jTPn400]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that so few people listen to anything he did after Sammy left the band that most people don't know how far Eddie fell. But that's not a reason to not respect him for what he did when he was young and good. Hell, Hendrix drank himself into a grave and nobody goes around complaining that we shouldn't love his work.

• Members

I think his value comes from his influence as much as his actual playing. He was a paradigm shifter. There may have been other tap players before him, but he was the one who caught everyone's attention and made a generational change in the way people approached the guitar. (He also wrote some great songs.)

• Members

I was never a big EVH fan growing up and I didn't start tapping until a few years ago. Growing up it seemed like everyone was into tapping and trying to be EVH. But he could play and had some awesome songs, riffs and solos... And yeah he is kind of spent now I think too... I heard a few of his unaccompanied guitar solos during the last tour with his kid and it was pretty sad... It almost seemed like he was played out and didn't know what to do... I also do admit that I do like the old DLR stuff a lot more now then I did when I was younger...

• Members

I was never a big EVH fan.

But I'll give him his do.

His earliest albums were one of those course-changing moments in rock, everything changed His style and tone influenced everything that came after him, in almost every guitar-oriented genre; but in hard rock and metal, the pre-EVH and post-EVH divide is massively obvious. Stuff people take for granted now, or find cliche, all started with him. The technique, talent and very populous-oriented songwriting was just the right thing at the right time.

• Members

Forget about the now. Lots of iconic players out there in many genres who don't produce much of interest/relevance these days. Doesn't take away from what they did in the past.

Sit down, throw on a good set of headphones, and listen to VH1. To say he is just a glorified tap guitarist is completely silly. Many of the players his style spawned certainly are purely "mechanical" players, but Eddie had a fantastic groove (check out that rhythm playing, not just the flashy leads!), and IMO, a unique sense of phrasing and note choice.

I'm not a shred guy, and I wouldn't list EVH in my personal "top 5" based on subjective taste. But the man was a completely badass guitarist. And I've never noticed this forum being a particular EVH "lovefest".

• Members

When he came out in the 80's he was doing stuff no one had done before. Everyone started copying him. He had a band with some catchy, humorous pop tunes. Lot's of people liked him. Never really appealed to me, but the guy was good. That's about it.

• Members

FWIW, when VHI came out there was no one doing what EVH was doing at the time. I remember hearing and thinking 'what the {censored} is this' and being amazed at his playing. I think anyone who was playing guitar at the time who wasn't stunned and amazed by EVH is probably full of {censored}. Ed was a real innovator back when Van Halen first made it big. Whether you like EVH or any of the many iterations of Van Halen is one thing, but EVH was (probably with an emphasis on WAS) a real innovator. I think he probably short circuited it all through booze, being a douchebag, and staying stuck in 1982, but back in the day he was the man.

• Members

When he came out in the 80's he was doing stuff no one had done before. Everyone started copying him. He had a band with some catchy, humorous pop tunes. Lot's of people liked him. Never really appealed to me, but the guy was good. That's about it.

What exactly did he do that no one ever did before??? Because it was tapping, Jeff Beck was tapping in the 60s and he got it from a book from 1930s... Watch the Montreal Guitar Show press conference from 2009 and he talks about it..

• Members

And then the {censored} storm starts.

Look, anyone can take bad footage of a guitartist and question people why they're worshipped. Take Angus Young here:

[video=youtube;4HA3Ot00bWw]

Why is he so popular? I mean look at him, My big dangling ballsack has played better riffs than this.

I point is, these {censored}s are old, and age has a way of catching up to people. Take George Lynch for example. That man had talent in his prime, but now his hands and arms are so {censored}ed up, he reduced to playing intro licks on That Metal Show and working in the ESP custom shop. I mean that's not a bad gig, but the man use to smoke the {censored} out of that sexy bengal tigerbusrt guitar of his.

Edit: I want everyone to know that I struggled to find this clip. Same goes for the EVH ones, which means you must really want to troll HCEG bad Billybilly.

• Members

Eddie struggles with addiction. I thought he was all washed up too, but I was wrong. When VH launched their last tour, there were threads like this one. So, I started checking out the clips posted from fans who saw the tour. What surprised me is how great most of the clips are out there of that tour. For every bad clip there are a ton more which show he still has great chops, when he's not falling down drunk.

Sure, there are a lot more skilled players out there today but few have accomplished what EVH has in his lifetime. He pushed the boundaries of his instrument, wrote popular songs, sold millions of albums, influenced thousands of guitar players in his lifetime. But, he lived past his prime and it seems that his muse has left him. Still, even in his current condition, he can outplay everybody here. In fact, he can outplay the pool of talent on HCEG even when he's been drinking....as long as he doesn't overdo his drinking.

• Members

Why is he so popular? I mean look at him, My big dangling ballsack has played better riffs than this.

I point is, these {censored}s are old, and age has a way of catching up to people. Take George Lynch for example. That man had talent in his prime, but now his hands and arms are so {censored}ed up, he reduced to playing intro licks on That Metal Show and working in the ESP custom shop. I mean that's not a bad gig, but the man use to smoke the {censored} out of that sexy bengal tigerbusrt guitar of his.

Edit: I want everyone to know that I struggled to find this clip. Same goes for the EVH ones, which means you must really want to troll HCEG bad Billybilly.

It seems pretty obvious to me this clip was a dub over. No? Watch it and see.

• Members

Of course the tapping is a gimmick. But I've always loved Eddie for his rhythm playing and his tone. He's like no one else before his time or since.

Everyone has a peak. Everything before it is an ascent, and after a descent. Come on Billy, gimme a break. Hey hey hey, one break... comin up

• Members

Of course the tapping is a gimmick. But I've always loved Eddie for his rhythm playing and his tone. He's like no one else before his time or since.

Everyone has a peak. Everything before it is an ascent, and after a descent. Come on Billy, gimme a break. Hey hey hey, one break... comin up

His tone rules. I mean that, there you go.

• Members

I really can't stand when guitar players judge other guitar players. makes me feel that when some do that, they really show their limitations as a real guitar player. May not be your cup of tea but Eddie changed guitar and that fact will be had by everyone from frank zappa, billy gibbons, eric clapton, tony iommi to you name it. if his peers share their respect to him than nothing on this forum will make that seem like he was over rated in my eyes. I am a fan and no, I don't play like him at all.

• Members

Oh, he'll always have a special place in my heart as a rock god.

I remember first hearing his debut album around '79 when I was in college.

It was more than just his playing, it was the sound he/they made. A total Arena rock sound that only got better the louder you cranked it and the more you made your ears bleed.

I remember once being a student of mycology after a friend of mine showed up at my apartment with edibles. We cruised around in his Firebird that day listening to that tape cranked and the next day he told me he'd blown a speaker in his car. Now they call it the "brown sound" but it was transporting in its day. :thu:

[video=youtube;OCwigPhpiXs]

[video=youtube;Y-IUB62zDlA]

Archived