Roland Cube Series amps

EricJohn

• Members

I have played countless gigs on my Cube 60. Sounds great. Super reliable. Doesn't kill you with stage volume. Great stuff. The only thing I don't like is that there is a split second delay when you change channels, so you sorta need to get the timing of that right.

• Members

I bought a MicroCube for apartment practice at one point and never use it. It doesn't sound good at all and the response of it is very weird, particularly the attack - it feels strange to play. I'd hope the bigger ones are a bit better, but since they're based on the same modeling software, I wouldn't expect much. I literally prefer playing unplugged to using the amp.

• Members

Not a big fan of how they sound but yeah... the 60+ watt models should be big enough for a gig unless you have a crazy drummer.

Of course, for a grab and go amp, I don't think tonal quality is the top priority for most guitarists. Playing in a room by yourself is definitely when most amps will sound their worst but when it comes down to that personal/practice use, I'd take most of the current modelers over the 30-60 Roland... The Voxes and the Fender Mustangs and Super Champ.

• Members

A buddy of mine let me borrow his micro cube when he was in Europe for a few months. Its a great bedroom amp for just sitting down and having fun. Would never be able to keep up with drums. It has some really cool amp and effect mods that actually sound pretty good. I ended giving it back to him, though, and bought a fender G-dec Jr. it has a little bit bigger speaker, so it sounds a little less 'tin-y'. The effects and amp models are pretty comparable, but the g-dec has beats you can play along to. actually a lot of fun.

• Members

I have the Microcube and have played most of the older (pre-modelling) cubes. The microcube isn't THAT good, but it get the job done - I've used it for the occasional busking session as well as backing an nu-mic'ed singer who sing at weddings. It's a utility, a dependable one, but don't expect to sound anything other than bland.

The older bigger cubes were pretty darned good - not that they could compare with a Fender but they were a decent clean platform

• Members

I think the Micro and Street cubes are probably the most convenient amps out there to run off rechargeable batteries - they sound ok too.

My drummer has a Basscube at his studio - it's fine for rehearsal - we've gigged with it a few times and it does the job but isn't the best.

As far as modelling guitar amps go, I'd rather have a Vox VT than a Cube...

• Members

^^^^

What he said.

I've also used it for solo/duo 'acoustic' gigs in larger venues by running a line out of the back into the PA system. Sounds a lot better when liberated from its tiny speaker ...

• Members

I use a 30 year old Roland Cube 60. It has more than enough volume, is perfect for jazz & blues. No digital modeling with a sweet bluesy overdrive and spring reverb. It has a 12" speaker in a compact cabinet. If you can find one of these I'd suggest you snap it up quickly. I managed to find mine in used but in mint condition.

Roland%20Cube%2060-1.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-4.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-3.JPG

• Members

Rock solid and bullet proof comes to mind then I think of the cube series. Unlike others on this post, I prefer them to the VT Vox series. I have a 30X and can get a convincing JC clean sound out of it. It's loud but you might want the 60 or 80 to gig with.

• Members

Agree Da-5 is not most intuitive amp, especially if trying to change sound during a gig. I have a Cube RX that I use for our beach gigs (batteries are a must). Much more solid sound than the microcube, fender model more spot on. Friend uses a street cube, which has more power but can't say about sound because he won't let me fiddle with settings, and he usually messes it up, imho.

RX uses very little power, only rated at 186 ma, less than half that of Vox.

Me, I'm hoping to get one of the mini Mustangs that are not yet here. Hope they come during the window of opportunity when I visit USA next month (pray, pray)

Archived