Saddest NGD Ever! (Peavey T60 content)

Carcinogen

• Members

Okay, so I bought this Peavey T60 from a guy on Craigslist the other day and applauded myself for only paying 120 for it. He said he'd done some 'modifications' to it, but they all seemed innocent enough, that is till I removed the replacement pearloid pickgaurd he was using to hide his butchery.

For starters, he removed the original pickups and put a 7 string pickup in the neck. To do this, he had to expand the cavity quite a bit. He also decided it would be an awesome idea to put in extra cavities for split P bass pickup halves that would only register three strings. He also said at one time he had some kind of synth circuitry installed which required "A little bit of routing"

It seems that I now own a very rare 'Semi hollow body' T60. Joy.

T60.jpg

What the hell did he do his routing with, a spoon? Jaysus! Why would anybody take such an awesome guitar and gouge into it like this?

What I plan on doing is smoothing out the sides with a router, and using some kind of epoxy to completely fill in the cavity, and start the new cavity from scratch. I'm going to have to completely re-finish the guitar, as the original pick guard doesn't cover up the new holes from the bass pickups that this yahoo had installed.

It's also worth noting that, rather than wire the pickups through a switch, he had separate inputs for each one... I don't know if he was trying to do some kind of stereo thing or something, but I just find the whole thing to be quite idiotic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyhoo, what kind of epoxy would you recommend? I don't want to use wood putty because it's basically sawdust, I'm looking for some kind of 2 part epoxy that will be able to resonate.

• Members

Ouch that's some serious butchering! I would also just go with a spare body... I almost bought a T60 at Daddy's Junky Music but realized it had been all modified/butchered when I got there. I left empty handed and disappointed. Though $120 you still didn't do bad, I'm sure it's worth that in parts.

• Members

My first instinct would be to clean up the cavity as you described. Then, if you don't want to undertake a refinish, button it back up and enjoy. As weird as it may sound the guy may have inadvertantly lightened things up a bit...and those guitars have a reputation for being heavy.

• Members

OMG That is sad. Those are great guitars though. Reminds me of the time I installed Fender Wide Range pups in a 69 two pup Melody Maker SG. This was in 72 and I was 16 and even stupider than I am now. My router was a hammer and a chisel. I ended up with a "swimming pool" route. The pick-guard cover it and I was happy. Dumb but happy.

Anyway HNGD

• Members

My first instinct would be to clean up the cavity as you described. Then, if you don't want to undertake a refinish, button it back up and enjoy. As weird as it may sound the guy may have inadvertantly lightened things up a bit...and those guitars have a reputation for being heavy.

This is the best advice, right here. It might even sound better - one of the very best Strats I've ever come across was a mid 90s USA with the swimming pool route.

• Members

Sounds like a Local H fan.

He put the bass pup on separate jack to run to a bass amp. I can't help you with the other questions but hopefully it all works out for you.

And many on board synths also use a separate jack. And require extensive routing. Especially older, larger units. As soon as he said "synth circuitry" you should have expected that thing to be nearly hollow.

As for the messy route, some people don't worship the guitars, they play em. You'd {censored} yer pants if you saw what I've done to my 35 year old Gibson over the years. If the instrument did what he needed, he's not an idiot OR incompetent. He's just has different goals and methods than you do.

• Members

:idea::idea::idea:

That's actually real time good advice :thu:

Archived