Vox VT20+ vs. Fender Mustang

chimi

• Members

Hey guys,

So i need a new modelling amp. And for a while i was set on buying a Vox VT 20+ amp however i have heard some great things about the Fender Mustang series.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what the two biggest differences between the two amps are? I had an older version of the Vox Vt series and loved the heavy distorted tones, would i be able to get those on the Fender?

• Members

Not sure about the heavy tones on the little Mustang I, but the Mustang II impressed the heck out of me for the heavy tones.

I haven't spent much time with the + series Voxes, but I have a Tonelab and had an and AD and a VT series amp. Basically, I'd say the Fender (II) is better at heavy tones and Fender tones and the Vox is better at Vox tones and early/less gainy Marshall tones. The Fender KILLS in the effects department.

• Members

These videos will help. They demo the Mustang II and the Vox VT40+ (close enough). If I recall correctly, they only use the factory presets on the Vox, which isn't really fair, but it's still a good comparison of the amps. The Mustang is in the first video, and the Vox in the second.

[video=youtube;erKaCn2wgLw]

[video=youtube;EcXSmBXylWQ]

**edit - these guys prefer the Mustang.

Archived