Need advice on pickups for PRS Semi Hollow...

EdgarSatriani

• Members

I was not satisfied with the stock pickups, so I swapped them for a Tonezone/Air Norton combo. They still sound muddy and midrangy thru my Blackstar HT-1R. Should I go for another set of pickups, maybe Dimarzio Air Classics neck/bridge, or use an EQ pedal? Or will my Blackstar make any guitar sound muddy and midrangy? I know they are not particularly popular for cleans but I've left (accidentally) my amp on for 9 straight hours (twice this month). Could that account for that awful muffled sound?

I know my questions are flying left and right, sorry about that, just want to pick your brains guys!:confused:

• Members

I'd take it to a tech.

Personally,
I wouldn't mod a guitar that expensive.
If it didn't do it for me the way it was built, I wouldn't shell out the bank for it.

I say that after hating my burstbuckers for 3 years. Still do.

Pretty sure it's a SE model, as it says in his sig.

• Members

BG Pure 90s.

P90s in humbucker size. Just drop them right in, no modifications to the guitar needed.

All the balls of a humbucker but with definition and clarity. No mud at all. Plus, they compliment a semihollow's character perfectly.

• Members

I was not satisfied with the stock pickups, so I swapped them for a Tonezone/Air Norton combo. They still sound muddy and midrangy thru my Blackstar HT-1R. Should I go for another set of pickups, maybe Dimarzio Air Classics neck/bridge, or use an EQ pedal? Or will my Blackstar make any guitar sound muddy and midrangy? I know they are not particularly popular for cleans but I've left (accidentally) my amp on for 9 straight hours (twice this month). Could that account for that awful muffled sound?

I know my questions are flying left and right, sorry about that, just want to pick your brains guys!
:confused:

I had split the coils in the HB's on my stock PRS semi hollow SE pickups with a push pull tone switch. I like the tone single and full using a Deluxe Reverb. The full HB bridge has a nice thick tone. The neck single almost has a P90 tone, What amp are you using? What is it you do not like? Is it a soap bar version?

Archived