New Fender Modern Player Series...made in China...Pawn Shops made in Japan?

steve_man

• Members

When I took my case back to GC to swap it out today, I noticed that they had received a couple of the Tele models of the new Modern Player series. They had both of these:

DV016_Jpg_Large_H76265.001.001_charcoal_

DV016_Jpg_Large_H76270.001.001_3_color_s

Not a fan of transparent black (both were that color), but the guitars had a solid feel, nice necks, etc. I was kind of surprised to see that they were made in China, though. Walked over to the Fender Pawn Shop models, and noticed that they were made in Japan. Maybe that's how they are hitting these price points...:idk: They did not feel as nice as some of the higher end MIM models, but every bit as nice...or nicer than the MIM Standard models.

• Members

Fender branded Japanese made guitars are nothing new, and it was well known from the start that the Pawn Shops were Japanese. Fender branded guitars from China is a whole other kettle of fish. As I've said before I can't help but suspect this is a trial run for Fender, and if they sell well and there's no backlash we may see the end of Squier.

• Members

I've played a couple pawn shops and they were very nice, and played very well. I consider them on par with higher end MIMs. I have not played a modern players yet but if the Squier VMs and CVs are any indication, well most of us know by now that they are very good.

• Members

Are you sure the Fenders from China were actually "Fender" branded, rather than Squiers with a Big Fender logo? I just ask because I remember hearing ....somewhere.... recently that they were going to do a run of Squiers with a small Squier / big Fender logo. They have done this before. The very first run of JV Squiers back in the early 80s, if memory serves, had a big Fender logo and "Squier Series" in small letters somewhere else on the headstock. There were also a run of Squiers done like that in.... Mexico(? I think) back in the early 90s. It would be interesting if they did decide to go with the Fender logo across the board. There are other companies who do it and it works for them - for example, Yamaha. I'd be sorts of sad to see the old Squier name go, though, as I've always liked Squiers.

• Members

Are you sure the Fenders from China were actually "Fender" branded, rather than Squiers with a Big Fender logo? I just ask because I remember hearing ....somewhere.... recently that they were going to do a run of Squiers with a small Squier / big Fender logo. They have done this before. The very first run of JV Squiers back in the early 80s, if memory serves, had a big Fender logo and "Squier Series" in small letters somewhere else on the headstock. There were also a run of Squiers done like that in.... Mexico(? I think) back in the early 90s. It would be interesting if they did decide to go with the Fender logo across the board. There are other companies who do it and it works for them - for example, Yamaha. I'd be sorts of sad to see the old Squier name go, though, as I've always liked Squiers.

Yup, I'm positive. My MIM P-Bass from the mid-90's has the Fender logo with "squire series" in tiny writing at the end of the headstock.

bass1.jpg

These were Fender branded, Modern Player series. Said "Made in China" on the back of the headstock. Neck finish felt similar to what they put on the Squire Classic Vibe guitars. Would not surprise me if they came out of the same factory.

• Members
  • Members

Are you sure the Fenders from China were actually "Fender" branded, rather than Squiers with a Big Fender logo? I just ask because I remember hearing ....somewhere.... recently that they were going to do a run of Squiers with a small Squier / big Fender logo. They have done this before. The very first run of JV Squiers back in the early 80s, if memory serves, had a big Fender logo and "Squier Series" in small letters somewhere else on the headstock.

I think you can pretty clearly see "Fender" on the headstock of the new Modern Player series. But really, what's the difference if they also have Squier on them somewhere? I'm pretty sure Fender didn't build a new factory in China for the Modern Player series. You can bet they're made in some of the same factories as some Squiers.

• Members

The finish on the necks of the CV series is way too thick and plasticy, especially on the ones with maple boards. That's my only complaint.

the finish is actually quite thin. i think people assume a satin finish is thinner, but ill bet the mim's have a thicker coat of clear on the neck than the CV.

• Members

They're not bad...but they are not any better than a MIM Standard.

I traded a made in Mexico Delux players Stratocaster with goldplated hardware and noiseless pups for a brand-new squire classic vibe 50s Strat. I found the 50s Strat to be superior in playability by leaps and bounds. Electronics arent quite as good, but really, I couldn't play the Mexican one anyways, the neck wasn't good so what does it matter that it had the sound? I will admit it felt better made and had a better sound slightly, but, I still traded it that says something. I have no regrets. I paid 200 for the mim.

• Members

When I took my case back to GC to swap it out today, I noticed that they had received a couple of the Tele models of the new Modern Player series. They had both of these:

s.

How chunky was the neck on the Tele's? I'm sure it wasn't really fat, but was it a pretty slim "modern C" like on the Classic vibe Teles or was it a little fatter "Average C"?

• Members

How chunky was the neck on the Tele's? I'm sure it wasn't really fat, but was it a pretty slim "modern C" like on the Classic vibe Teles or was it a little fatter "Average C"?

Just seemed like a standard Tele neck. Didn't notice it to be any larger or smaller.

Archived