Crate Palomino V16 - Thoughts?

RaVenCAD

• Members

Saw one of these locally.. What's a fair price for them? Dude said he'd take $180, but I don't know how good that price is.. I looked on eBay, but it's limited. This one is the U.S.A. made version and looks to be pretty mint.

Anyone own one? Got clips? Thoughts? :wave:

• Members

I have the usa v3112 (same as the palomino v30).

USA made.

180 is a good price, the v30 has plenty of headroom, but not sure if 2 el84's in the v16 will get you much clean headroom in a band setting though...

THey run HOT (some install a fan to keep them cool), and there is a channel switching delay on most of them.

• Members

I have the usa v3112 (same as the palomino v30).

USA made.

180 is a good price, the v30 has plenty of headroom, but not sure if 2 el84's in the v16 will get you much clean headroom in a band setting though...

THey run HOT (some install a fan to keep them cool), and there is a channel switching delay on most of them.

I don't gig and I ain't in a band. This will be for recording and personal enjoyment. How HOT? HOT as in dangerously/fire hazzard hot?

• Members

I've got the MIA V1512 predecessor which is nearly identical. It's absolutely fantastic. I keep thinking I could improve on it but every time I play any comparable 15w tube amp I always think mine is better. (save high end Matchless, 65 amps type stuff).

It does get dirty pretty quickly but it's cleans are wonderful and are more than loud enough for most home applications. The gain is fantastic though. More British than American. Every time I play an AC15 I'm totally let down by how it compares to the V15.

180 would be a great deal in my opinion. If you could talk him to 150 it's a steal.

Try to go jam on it though and decide for yourself. Search it on youtube...there are a couple good clips right at the beginning.

• Members

Love, love, love my V16. Under $200 is good. Worth so much more. :thu: By it's self, I don't think much of it's distortion, but with a King of Tone overdrive, it sounds lots, lots better.

Where it really shines is it's clean. Not much head room, but what it gives you is so worht it. I know I'll sound like an idiot that thinks his $99 Epi is as good as a Gibson, but I'll say it anyway, clean is better than AC15, Matchless, and just slightly better than a DR Z Maz 18. No shit.

• Members

I don't gig and I ain't in a band. This will be for recording and personal enjoyment. How HOT? HOT as in dangerously/fire hazzard hot?

I got mine stupid cheap. Guy had put it in a "keyboard amp cab?" There was a cutout on front baffle for a horn. Maybe he thought that would give it more air?

Turned it into this. Amp is mounted upside down. I was worried about heat too, but you would think, anything that has lsted this long would be one of the problem free ones.

P1050175.jpg

• Members

Looks like this is a no-go.. Dude won't budge on $180, and I'm not really into it enough to go more than $150.. Bummer; hafta find another toy..

Have you played it yet? Who knows? Maybe if you try it out, you'll think the extra $30 is worth it and if not, art least you won't be left with the doubt.

• Members

Dude is at $170 now.. Trigger................... dying................ to...................... be...................... pulled..............

lol... you're asking HERE whether or not you should buy something.

New Amp Day thread in 3, 2...

Archived