Strat: USA or Mexico?

therichardsgang

• Members

Hi all,

I have a number of acoustic guitars ranging from an elderly flamenco that looks like it came off a skip to a Taylor worth a couple of grand. I feel it's now time to get an electric, but know little about them - I want to buy a guitar that will "grow with me" - i.e. so that as I improve, I am not hankering to get rid and buy another. I have looked at the Strat and have played a few, my question is that I can't feel much difference between the U.S.A. and the Mexican - so apart from price, is there really that much of a difference?

In fact as a guitar player - but unused to electrics, is a Strat the right guitar at all?

thanks for your advice

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What sort of music are you planning to play?

As a pastor, mostly Christian stuff in church - with drums, keyboard, bass etc- predominantly rhythmn.

my own taste is quite eclectic - i like all sorts of music ranging from blues right through to heavy metal [prefer the blues end of the spectrum!] Also like reggae, jazz etc - would like to have a go at it all - at least that stuff that sounds rubbish on the acoustics

• Members

go to store where you can play a number of different guitars and pick the one that sounds and feels the best.

Yeah - I will do that, but the guy in the store has a vested interest in selling me the most expensive, and will almost certainly chose the amp that sounds best. You guys have no axe to grind ['scuse the pun!], so your advice is likely to be more impartial.

:)

• Members

I warmed up to Strats late. Some people say you might need to play dozens of strats until you find "the one". I had a MIA Hwy 1 - it was ok. But I never really bonded with it. A couple years later I looked at a used MIM that was priced on clearance. That one was "the one". YMMV

• Members

I have a mia standard strat with standard pickups and a mim deluxe players strat with fender noiseless vintage pickups. I love the mim deluxe players strat more than the mia standard. It is a deluxe model so I don't know if it may have better quality than the mim standard strats, but it is very nice. I need to change the mia pickups because the mia standard pickups don't do it for me.

Like the post said above, you should head to nearest Guitar Center or guitar shop to check out and play as many as possible. One will feel amazing in your hands and talk to you and that will be the one you want.

• Members

I would think it would make more sense for an acoustic player to get a semi-hollow 335-style for going electric, but I see a lot of acoustic players with Strats and Teles as their electric. I think this is for two reasons: 1) the scale is the same (I believe most acoustics have 25.5" scales), and 2) since an acoustic player is probably looking for something different, the bright, cutting sound of Strat and Tele single coils are a lot different than the fat, deep tone a lot of acoustic guitars have.

Anyway, if you can't tell the difference between the MIM and MIA Strats, then get the MIM. Most of the sound is from the pickups, anyway. If at some point you want to upgrade the pickups, it's not hard to do. Just play it first, and if you're happy, stick with it.

• Members

Also like reggae, jazz etc - would like to have a go at it all - at least that stuff that sounds rubbish on the acoustics

Strats are very versatile guitars. As far as MIA vs. MIM, as others have said, try a bunch and buy what you like best. Where it's made is irrelevant.

• Members

A Strat is a good choice but as recommended, go to the store and play a few different models. Try to at least play the following types and they don't have to be the original brands;

Les Paul

Stratocaster

Telecaster

335 (Semihollow)

For the use you've specified, I'd say either the semihollow (335 type) or Stratocaster would be your best bet.

The other question is your budget. How much is it? I ask because you'll need to consider a few other things... like an amp. At least 2/3 of your budget should go toward the amp and the remaining 1/3 to your guitar. If you plan on plugging into an existing P.A. system, then you'll need to consider a multi pedal. Save a little cash for a comfortable strap, a few packs of extra strings in different gauge will you figure out which you prefer, a tuner and a handful of picks.

As far as the MIA and MIM Fender Strats, the major difference are the pickups. On one hand you can buy the MIM cheaper and upgrade pickups later. On the other you can find a MIA that is more expensive but if you find one you like, will need no upgrades and you can grow with.

• Members

The other question is your budget. How much is it? I ask because you'll need to consider a few other things... like an amp. At least 2/3 of your budget should go toward the amp and the remaining 1/3 to your guitar. If you plan on plugging into an existing P.A. system, then you'll need to consider a multi pedal. Save a little cash for a comfortable strap, a few packs of extra strings in different gauge will you figure out which you prefer, a tuner and a handful of picks.

As far as the MIA and MIM Fender Strats, the major difference are the pickups. On one hand you can buy the MIM cheaper and upgrade pickups later. On the other you can find a MIA that is more expensive but if you find one you like, will need no upgrades and you can grow with.

Amp-wise, in church we use a 16 channel pa system with 3 wedge foldback speakers - don't know the make/power etc, but seems ok. My Marshall Amp i am told is quite a good one [clean and overdrive channels, fx and footswitch - but only 50w] - especially bearing in mind the rooms I play are relatively small. I tried a tele and a les paul - liked them both - but can't buy all three!

Budget-wise, at this point something around

• Members

The only (US)american made Strat i have owned was one of the dreaded CBS mid-70's strats. That was horrible, to say the least.

Right now i have 3 stock Mim strats (no "upgrades" whatsoever), where one is just what i want from a strat ( :love: ), one is very good and one is sort of average strattish sounding.

The two good ones (to me) are the ones with maple necks that even with the ceramic pickups sound nice and strattish.

I think that they are very well made guitars and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for a strat on a budget.

This is what the "average sounding" strat sounds like

• Members

The Godin session is a heck of a guitar for the price but you might be wanting a fender and that is fair enough.

Either way, I would get a MIM HSS stratocaster or a MIM tele. No sense breaking the bank on your first electric. They are both good guitars and would suit your needs. The Godin session is really the same as a MIM HSS stratocaster and I recommend you try both as well as the telecaster. One may just feel better than the others and that's what counts.

• Members

Also like reggae, jazz etc - would like to have a go at it all - at least that stuff that sounds rubbish on the acoustics

Hey man. In the same boat. I mostly use my guitars in a church setting. I've had Standard Strats, and American Strats...and my least favorite players were the Standard Strats. My MIA Strat was really nice...but my hands down favorite Strat that I have owned is the one I bought a few weeks ago. It is a Special Run, Made in Mexico Strat, but looks, feels, and sounds like an MIA Strat. Noiseless pups, humbucker, etc.

2011-10-26163842.jpg

Between this and my MIA Tele, you can cover a lot of ground. Of course, my fave guitar is still my Tele...especially in a church setting, as it really cuts through the mix well. Both are outstanding guitars! Just play a bunch and find one that inspires you to play!

My Tele:

DSCF2380.jpg

• Members

The Godin session is a heck of a guitar for the price but you might be wanting a fender and that is fair enough.

Either way, I would get a MIM HSS stratocaster or a MIM tele. No sense breaking the bank on your first electric. They are both good guitars and would suit your needs. The Godin session is really the same as a MIM HSS stratocaster and I recommend you try both as well as the telecaster. One may just feel better than the others and that's what counts.

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

THIS!!

Archived