Ladies that can bring the RAWK!

steve_man

• Members

Seriously, this isn't about putting "eye candy" out there...but post some vids of female guitar players that can really play!

These are a couple I found when surfing some youtube guitar vids:

[video=youtube;s0x9HAFcvG0]

Same girl with Sammy Hagar...

[video=youtube;QhtDBqDucJE]

[video=youtube;stlYDxHftb4]

[video=youtube;-H1BkSBNtNM]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to mention Joan Jett. I've been listening to her recently. And it's not like she's an awesome player, but she is an awesome rocker. I think she sounds alot like a female embodiment of the Ramones with a great classic Marshall rock tone. So I'm giving her major kudos more so for her classic rock tone than any particularly wizardry on the fretboard.

[video=youtube;E5qv61AwNX8]

[video=youtube;wjhxkANhKwI]

• Members

I'm a HUGE JJ fan. She has exactly the right aggressive stage persona for what she does. I totally wanna bring that when I'm onstage too. Her original lead guitarist in the Blackhearts, Ricky Byrd, is to me what a punk guitarist should be, to the point and always plays to the song-- sorta a punk rock version of another of my faves, Mike Campbell.

And for some eye candy, but of ladies that do actually rock:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1184947-GalsNGuitars

;)

• Members

Damn, that brought tears to my eyes.

To me it's not a question of how she learned that so young, but more how can she have that in her so young. That's obviously her pouring out. Instead of asking her for an autograph, I'd be asking her for a bit of DNA. AWESOME.

• Members

I am about as interested in lady shredders and lady RAWKERS as I'm interested in dood shredders and sweaty dudes who can bring the RAWK, as in not at all.

That said, many of my favorite guitar players are women, and I just made a thread about her, but Tanya Donelly (Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Belly) is one of my favorite musicians of all time, and probably one of the two guitarists who have most influenced me. She's really the whole package because she's shown herself to be capable as a singer, a songwriter, an awesome interpreter of other people's songs, band leader, band side-person, a solo artist, a lead guitarist, a rhythm guitarist, and she's still doing it and she's still a fox:

[video=youtube;1RWQwZy-Nhs]

Angela Loy of Tiger Trap is a little known guitarist, probably because her career spanned like all of three years on one band that released like one album, but I still ransack her style for all it's worth:

[video=youtube;NS8Wnqpuy1c]

My lead guitar tone and style are 100% copied from her and I'm proud to admit it.

• Members

I am about as interested in lady shredders and lady RAWKERS as I'm interested in dood shredders and sweaty dudes who can bring the RAWK, as in not at all.

That said, many of my favorite guitar players are women, and I just made a thread about her, but Tanya Donelly (Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Belly) is one of my favorite musicians of all time, and probably one of the two guitarists who have most influenced me. She's really the whole package because she's shown herself to be capable as a singer, a songwriter, an awesome interpreter of other people's songs, band leader, band side-person, a solo artist, a lead guitarist, a rhythm guitarist, and she's still doing it and she's still a fox:

Angela Loy of Tiger Trap is a little known guitarist, probably because her career spanned like all of three years on one band that released like one album, but I still ransack her style for all it's worth:

My lead guitar tone and style are 100% copied from her and I'm proud to admit it.

For someone so opinionated about music you sure listen to some highly questionable indie stuff.

• Members

For someone so opinionated about music you sure listen to some highly questionable indie stuff.

Tiger Trap is pretty much unheard of around these parts, but Tanya hardly qualifies as "some highly questionable indie stuff," considering that Belly used to feature on MTV and sold almost a million copies of the first album in America alone without any strong promotional push, and The Breeders and Throwing Muses are extremely well respected (and popular) alternative rock bands with almost universal acclaim.

I hate to say it this way but if you actually explored any of this stuff I mention, you wouldn't say what you did. Most of the music I listen to, regardless of sales, is not weird or obscure and often has very strong melodies and appeal, and if they aren't popular, it's usually because they don't fit into an easily defined market, not because it's trying to be obscure or questionable.

Archived