Is it worth investing in expensive guitars?

iloveespguitars

• Members

This is probably a really stupid question... but lately I've just keep finding myself trying out moderately priced guitar (~$400~800) and higher end guitars (~$1000~$2000) and honestly, I can't really see the point of investing in an expensive guitar especially when playing metal in a live mix.

Everything I play, they sound really different on the clean channel but once you start running high gain (my amp's gain is usually on 5 or less so I don't get washed out) then add another guitar player , then add in the bass player, then add the drums, the difference of the starting guitar all tend to sound the same at the end result when playing through the same amp.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a question that must be answered on an individual level.

I have no need for resale value because I hope to never sell a guitar therefore I just buy and play the ones I fall in love with. Other people buy them with the intent of them holding a high resale value for several reasons but that mentality just never stuck with me. I don't think either position is more valid than the other but it truly does just come down to a personal choice.

• Members

Buy what your comfortable with and feels at home under the hand. There are a lot of good players out there for short change.

And you are correct, if your playing high gain head banging Wookie music, the subtle nuances and sweeter tones of higher grade electronics and select tone woods will get lost in the mix.

• Members

I do not personally buy guitars as an investment, but I do play on guitars in the 3.5K-4K range, out live.

I have always enjoyed what these instruments offer over lower priced ones. However, as stated above, this is a personal opinion and an individual matter only.

In order to know whether or not it is worth the money, only you can judge that for yourself, by seriously looking at these guitars, playing them and comparing them against what you currently enjoy playing on.

What I have found are some subtle and some not-so-subtle differences, but that is a judgement which can only be made between the guitars you choose as a comparison. Also, you need to know what you are looking for in each guitar as part of that comparison. If you do not know, then the money is better saved for something else you desire.

• Members

Man i :love: me some finely crafted music instruments. After getting my R7, all my epi's, my hondo, and my MIM's felt like toys.

/gear snob

So yeah, the problem with this is its hard for me to pick up those other guitars. Also, as you would expect, I baby the {censored} out of my R7 and probably would have a hard time taking it to play a live show.

• Members

Need versus want. I'll always want a Gibson R9 or Black Beauty, but I only need an Epi '56 Goldtop. I'd love an Eric Johnson Strat, but I only need a MIM. PRS Private stock would be awesome, but my SE Soap Bar is a player.

i agree with this.

I have a Epi 56 goldtop and it is a great.

A new R6 is what like 3,700 bucks?

(hypothetical) If you have that kind of money laying around,

you gotta ask yourself something like, is that R6 really 3200 dollars better than the epi?

to a fanatic, probably yes. If you arent that fanatical about guitars, then you will have that 3000+ bucks to spend on something else, like an RV or a boat.

• Members

This is probably a really stupid question... but lately I've just keep finding myself trying out moderately priced guitar (~$400~800) and higher end guitars (~$1000~$2000) and honestly, I can't really see the point of investing in an expensive guitar especially when playing metal in a live mix.

Everything I play, they sound really different on the clean channel but once you start running high gain (my amp's gain is usually on 5 or less so I don't get washed out) then add another guitar player , then add in the bass player, then add the drums, the difference of the starting guitar all tend to sound the same at the end result when playing through the same amp.

It all depends. Are you into investing or playing?

By your post, I gather you have the budget for whichever one you want, so buy whichever feels, plays and sounds best to you, regardless of the price or brand. Quality isn't in the price or brand. Quality resides in the satisfaction the guitar gives to you as a player. That's really all that matters. If you want to play instead of invest, I wouldn't worry about the resale vale either.

Although you're playing high gain now, you do notice differences on clean settings so I'd say base your choice on that. You never know, you might be playing different styles later on. Most of all, don't sweat it. Guitar hunting id fun. Take your time, the guitars aren't going anywhere and enjoy the ride.

:thu:

• Members

Buy good quality guitars you used for half price!

Investment? No. unless you get a used one for a steal because someone needed cash for more important things in life and have someone you know that will buy it from you.

For investments - Gold is much better investment then guitars.

• Members

This is probably a really stupid question... but lately I've just keep finding myself trying out moderately priced guitar (~$400~800) and higher end guitars (~$1000~$2000) and honestly,
I can't really see the point of investing in an expensive guitar especially when playing metal in a live mix

The OP is talking about playing - not investing.

My take on this is simple.

You get what you pay for.

99.99999% of the time a Gibson LP will play and sound better than a MIC, MIK Epi LP.

Same goes for US Strats/Teles vs the MIM versions - and the US PRS vs PRS SE ... etc etc

The question is really can someone justify paying out the bigger bucks to get that higher quality guitar?

• Members

I agree and I think you get what you pay for with guitars to an extent...we all know that alot of guitars are WAY overpriced....and if you buy a guitar for $150 new you have to take that into consideration...yes you can be plesantly surprised by these babies..my Peavey Predator is an example...that is a 200 new guitar but plays/sounds nice and stays in tune after horrific beatings (im a firm beliver that good pickups and a good setup can do WONDERS for almost any guitar), my Blacktop Tele is an AWESOME guitar for under $500...my Gibby Lp was a thing of beauty.....worth every penny....my Ibanez Iceman and Fireman would be my greater than $500 less than $1000 guits, and are my absloute favorites...sound play feel as nice as anything else ive had...

So to sum up if you have a $150 partscaster that kicks ass thats awesome, but i think that if you spend $1000-$2000 or more on a guitar, you will notice that its nice lol..i feel a difference in nicer guitars is that difference always worth the difference in price?? Well thats a question only one can answer for themselves..I can justify any purchase I make to myself cause i got a screw loose

• Members

Ultimately what really matters is finding a guitar that you really enjoy playing. Buy the best you can afford no matter what it is.

All things considered, it is very possible to invest in guitars for profit, if you know your {censored}. It is all about recognizing deals on guitars that you can sell for more than you paid.

• Members

Buy what your comfortable with and feels at home under the hand. There are a lot of good players out there for short change.

And you are correct, if your playing
high gain head banging Wookie music
, the subtle nuances and sweeter tones of higher grade electronics and select tone woods will get lost in the mix.

Tom, I'm interested in this style of music you describe... can you point me to an example? ;)

• Members

If you don't see a difference between the $500 and $1000 guitars, why would you shell out the extra $500?

because im stupid...sniffery does get the best of me sometimes...but let me re work my belief a little...i think thay if you spend over $500 you should have a quality guitar...is a 2k guit better..yes, but $1000 better??..again thats what you have to decide..i think finish differences and some components are the key factors here in the price differences...i see great pickups in midlevel guits almost all the time now...im not good enough that it would make as much of a difference to me,

Archived