What's your favorite distortion pedal.And why.

Baddass

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kingsley Minstrel.... it actually is a boutique tube preamp in a box, sounds incredible.

Other dirt pedals I love:

Wampler HotWired

Barber Burn Unit EQ

Fulltone PlimSoul

For fuzz

Diamond Fireburst

EWS Fuzzy Drive

For high gain

EMMA Pisdiyauwot

• Members

the Mojo Hand Mule.

it's a Way Huge Red Llama clone, which is a variant of the Craig Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz (and Craig says in his book that he doesn't know were the circuit comes from). goes from light overdrive to medium distortion. i run two of them in one enclosure, and can play just about anything with it. it's not a TS based pedal, nor is it any of the other "classic" designs.

my other faves are a Mojo Hand Colossus, which is an EHX "Civil War" Big Muff variant, and the MI Audio Tube Zone.

• Members

I'm with PrawnHeed. The amp distortion on my Rebel 30 beats any pedal I've used.

care to expand on your comment? i'm always interested in what pedals "amp distortion guys" have played, and how that influenced them to reach their decision. also, do you use any kind of boost pedal for solos?

• Members

Mine is an old rat pedal I bought about 20 years ago for 25 bucks.My second fav is those old roadkill pedal's that Guitar center sold back in the 90's.Sound great thru any amp I play.:i

Fav: chandler tube driver (ok, not necessarily 'distortion', but more on that below).

Why: cuz it's got a tube, man! But really, it's because it sounds incredible thru the clean channel on a big tube amp and a guitar w/JBs or EMGs. Crunchy, creamy buttery deliciousness; pinch harmonic heaven. Perfect for surfing that edge of feedback territory. Simple, sweet n rugged.

When there's a need to make paint bubble: The big green Sovtek Big Muff Pi.

Why: about the same as above, but to the extreme and beyond (and far beyond crunch zone).

• Members

care to expand on your comment? i'm always interested in what pedals "amp distortion guys" have played, and how that influenced them to reach their decision. also, do you use any kind of boost pedal for solos?

I use a parametric eq pedal as a boost and shaper.

• Members

For my Engl or my Cube, I'd take the amp distortion (though the Cube does like pedals, I just love most of its dirt models). That said, on my piece of {censored} behringer with its surprisingly nice stock Jensen speaker, a Line 6 Uber Metal or EHX Metal Muff (and honestly, most other dirt pedals I've tried with it, high gain or not) work better than I would've expected. I haven't tried any pedals with my Vox AC4TV. Only ones I have are high gain and it feels a little sacrilegious.

Archived