BYOguitar Les Paul build thread

w00dsy

• Members

i got this for my son for xmas, he really wanted to do an LP kit. We won't be starting it until the 25th so i'll just show a few quick pics i took to make sure it's all ok, then i'll update the thread after xmas as we put it together. I did another BYO kit last year, an LP Jr double cut which came out quite nice. My only real issue with it was the frets weren't great, this one looks much better but still not perfect so it might need a fret level and dress. No real big deal, you have to expect that sort of thing. The good news is it's all fits together nicely and there are no issues to speak of, and the neck is dead straight. The veneer has quite a nice flame to it too which is good.

He wants to upgrade quite a few of the parts so some of them might get the flick. He really wants a sustainiac in the neck, so we just need a decent bridge humbucker, might speak to BG about something like that. Anyway he wants a transparent blue finish, with black back on the body and neck.

20111208_163852.jpg?gl=AU

no scarf joint which is interesting.

20111208_163808.jpg?gl=AU

it's a 3 pice back but it blends in quite well, but it'll be painted anyway so it won't matter.

20111208_163759.jpg?gl=AU

• Members

great project :thu:

*pedantism ON*

...though what youre doing is ASSEMBLING a guitar, not BUILDING one

what Freeman Keller does is building

what you & i do is assembling

*pedantism OFF*

looks like a high-quality foundation for a nice instrument, i may look into one myself!

• Members

great project
:thu:

*pedantism ON*

...though what youre doing is ASSEMBLING a guitar, not BUILDING one

what Freeman Keller does is building

what you & i do is assembling

*pedantism OFF*

looks like a high-quality foundation for a nice instrument, i may look into one myself!

that's very true, however i plan to turn this thing into a double neck Strat with 16 coil motherbuckers, and an e-bender :D

• Members

That kit does look pretty cool. Laminated maple top a la Gibson. Would the basswood sides and back make a big difference?

Basswood is a fine tonewood and makes for a light guitar, but my issue is that it's too soft for my liking. It's fine if you put a hard poly finish on it, but if you go with nitro (like I would want to with the kit) then it dings with every tiny thing that hits it.

Archived