MF not Charging Sales Tax to California Again?

bluesguitar65

• Members

Was browsing for an VOX AC4 and saw a banner regarding which States MF charges sales tax, and CA is not listed "again". Was there a big impact in sales when MF started charging sales tax to CA? I know, a couple of peeps from CA that stopped ordering from MF due to the sales tax charges and instead gone to sweetwater, zzounds and AMS for their business.

screenshot20111213at913.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2011-12-13

• Members

I liked them better when they were HQ'd and warehoused out of Medford OR. OR has no sales tax so all their sales were not sales taxed. Then they opened up Musicians Friend retail outlets in WA State (where I live) and then I had to start paying sales tax. Those stores became GC stores, but the tax still remained. My understanding is that they still maintain some corporate offices in this State so the sales tax cannot drop off. I've long been perplexed why they would be willing to lose that much sales in this State to maintain those offices. Folks just run to Sweetwater, Sam Ash, SameDay/Zz/AMS with price matches. Sometime ago M123 had been my next favorite until MF bought them out and caused their sales to be taxed as well. Part of me doesn't like to talk about this matter, but realistically we all need to get the cheapest overall prices we can find. None of us is taking much of this to the grave with us, so it's good to be less upside down in our acquisition costs. Maybe one universal sales tax rate would be the best way to go so it would give the brick & mortar operations a fighting chance and restore lost revenues to States. But I thought the Universal Sales Tax Laws that were passed, but never enforced, would have been ridiculously burdensome to expect every online dealer to collect tax for the shipping destination and remit. Reminds me of the acronym KISS.

Archived