Mashall Lead 100 Mosfet - do you have one?

wagdog

• Members

Picked up one of these amps, it was busted. Got it going again - sounds sorta marshally, in a solid state kinda way. Both channels are usable w/a footswitch, reverb works - not a bad backup amp, sounds pretty good actually. Doesn't get the real brutalz, but can hit the ac/dc sorta driving tones.

Still one glitch with it, but I'm not sure it's normal or not; it has a very loud pop/thump when first powering it on. I'm not sure if this is normal for this amp or not as I don't have a lot of experience with older solid-state amps.

Does anyone here have one of these amps? Can you tell me if it pops when you turn it on?

Edit: just added a clip to the plethora of youtube clips of this amp:

[video=youtube;Cmaw_zCGUPM]

Starts on clean channel, then switches to the dirt channel.

• Members

My 5210 pops when first powering on, as have most of the SS amps I can remember.

I'm leaning towards thinking that it's normal... but it's a pretty darn loud pop. Actually thinking of wiring up a speaker disconnect switch in the back - sorta like a standby, but for a solid state amp.

• Members

Used to jam with a friend back in the day and he had one that was kind of a house amp. Nobody ever wanted to use it as they were using 50W tube Marshalls. Back then I really couldn't afford a nice tube amp and I was playing through Fender SS amps anyway so the thought of playing through a mosfet Marshall was appealing to me. Anyway, I had this tricked out EMG laden Squier Strat that would make that rig just sing. The thing would even clean pretty nice if memory serves.

There was nothing wrong with that amp except for the mobthink that Marshall amps must be tubes. Kind of like that whole Porsche and the rear engine deal. :(

• Members

I own 2 Mosfet Lead 100 heads. One is an '86 and the other I believe is an '89. The older head has the brown grill cloth, while the later model has the black grill cloth. I find that cranking up the gain on the clean channel and using a Strat can get awesome sounding blues tones and I can especially cop a Hendrix vibe with my lefty Strat that's set to play right handed. I also found running my self modded Boss DS1 into the clean channel can get way more thump than the amp's overdrive. I have found that the overdrive channel whether gain knob is pushed in or pulled out, reacts to boosting via an overdrive pedal quite well. I personally feel this is one of Marshall's dark horse amps due to it being a solid state amp. I've owned several tube Marshalls, both vintage and newer models and this amp holds it's own for classic rock, hard rock and 70s/80s metal.

• Members

I own 2 Mosfet Lead 100 heads. One is an '86 and the other I believe is an '89. The older head has the brown grill cloth, while the later model has the black grill cloth. I find that cranking up the gain on the clean channel and using a Strat can get awesome sounding blues tones and I can especially cop a Hendrix vibe with my lefty Strat that's set to play right handed. I also found running my self modded Boss DS1 into the clean channel can get way more thump than the amp's overdrive. I have found that the overdrive channel whether gain knob is pushed in or pulled out, reacts to boosting via an overdrive pedal quite well. I personally feel this is one of Marshall's dark horse amps due to it being a solid state amp. I've owned several tube Marshalls, both vintage and newer models and this amp holds it's own for classic rock, hard rock and 70s/80s metal.

Thanks for that info - appreciated!

Does yours pop and/or thump when you turn it on initially with speakers connected? This one does. Once it's on, it sounds great! I'm running it through a 4x10 peavey classic cab.

• Members

Thanks for that info - appreciated!

Does yours pop and/or thump when you turn it on initially with speakers connected? This one does. Once it's on, it sounds great! I'm running it through a 4x10 peavey classic cab.

Yep both of mine thump a bit when first powered up.

• Members

The thump is normal.

Seems to be the consensus! I installed a speaker off switch on the rear panel this evening to avoid the thump. I don't think it's enough of a thump to blow a speaker, but why take a chance? The switch was easy enough to install in one of the speaker out jacks.

Archived