Operation: Gold Foil!

Elias Graves

• Members

I have a Godin 5th Avenue. I also have a 60s Teisco gold foil pickup. Chaos will follow. :D

The Godin is a sweet player, but has a couple of flaws.In order to get an acceptable acoustic sound from it, you gotta run 12s at least. Twenty minutes of that and my left hand is having serious nerve problems. Tingling, numbness, the works. So, I just haven't been playing it much.

So, I decided to test this gold foil pickup and see how it sounded. Not wanting to hack anything up for a test, I came up with this nice ghetto arrangement.

OklahomaCity-20111208-00623.jpg

:D

It looks like hell but it told me what I needed to hear. It sounds pretty damn good. Basically like a low output P90. Hum is quite minimal.

So, the plan now is for a more permanent hookup.

I got some cork to use as a mounting shim and I'll cut a new pickguard to hold the pots. I already have an endpin jack and tailpiece ground installed, so I'll reuse those.

Wish me luck.

EG

• Members

Here's a link to a vid my brother shot at his place over the weekend. Sorry, he's not the best housekeeper.
:facepalm:
And you'll have to forgive my crappy voice....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en_US&client=mv-google&v=7yTjGnES_xM

At least you can hear the guitar.

EG

Cool tone. What's the amp you're using?

By the way, here's the link for those not viewing from a mobile device:

• Members

That video was barely above bedroom levels and I had to watch my placement very carefully.

I read about a technique for calming them down a bit. Some 1/4" thick adhesive back spenco gel in a strip about 1"x6" in through the f holes and stuck to the inside of the top.

Supposedly works well.

The pickguard on adds a little mass and also sits in front of the lower f hole. That will help a little, too.

When you do find that sweet spot, though, you can really milk that feedback. It's pretty cool.

EG

• Members

You're still using chain saws? That's so Old School. I've converted my shop over to shaped C4 charges. The learning curve is steep, but it's rich in mojo.

Yeah, you only get to make one mistake with teh C4z... at least with a chainsaw, you might be able to make three or four mistakes. :lol:

• Members

Black powder or gtfo!

EG

I tried both. Unfortunately I had to build a new shop. Another idea would be to load up your shotgun. I'd recommend shooting at a piece of 1/4" plywood to check the spread first. You may have to go with a lighter load than 00 buck. Also make sure to put some padding on the back so you don't end up with a pup hole thru the back of the guitar too.

SRS I'd think about using the spenco gel and contact adhesive to permanently mount the pup. With a bit of planning you could run the pots and jack in an elevated p/g and end up not doing any damage to the git. You'll have to find something else, like neighborhood cats, for target practice.

Archived