Need some suggestions. Rocksmith

Pincookie1

• Members

My brother in law just got an xbox 360. For the longest time he has been playing rock band at my house whenever he comes over. On a few occasions he has mentioned learning to play a real guitar. So, i was thinking, instead of rock band I could get him rocksmith for Christmas. So when he is gaming he is actually learning to play.

So, my question is. Rocksmith with epi lp for 200 bucks? Or Buy game for 80 bucks, then get an agile or sx? Or anything else you can recommend under 200.

Thanks

• Members

I think its a great idea. I played it at guitar center and hated it though... But that was because I knew how to play guitar. Luckily, I just picked a song I knew and got a %100 on it :p But the game was kinda cool, especially if you don't know how to play guitar.

The Epiphone LP that comes with it is complete crap. Its the cheapest bolt on Epi with one muddy pickup. Its going to be the same price if you just buy the game and maybe a $100 guitar from rondo music. I know they have some very nice strats and LP jrs for just 100 bucks and are very nice quality compared to plywood epiphones. Go the rondo route, down the line he'll be happier.

• Members

Rocksmith has a few serious shortcomings when it comes to trying to use it as a tool to actually learn guitar. The main one being that there is no training/practice mode. Basically you have no way to practice songs (or just parts of a song) at a set tempo. If you mess up a lot it will automatically slow down but once you start getting things right it will instantly jump back up to full tempo.

• Members

Rocksmith has a few serious shortcomings when it comes to trying to use it as a tool to actually learn guitar. The main one being that there is no training/practice mode. Basically you have no way to practice songs (or just parts of a song) at a set tempo. If you mess up a lot it will automatically slow down but once you start getting things right it will instantly jump back up to full tempo.

I don't see that as a shortcoming at all.. That's how I work things out. I go slow, then I speed up, realize I need to go slow again, then speed up again when I've got it worked out. That's a pretty normal learning method.

• Members

Rocksmith gets pretty good reviews, but the Epi LP Jr. gets much poorer ones from buyers of the bundle (link).

You could get a decent (for a rank beginner) SX Callisto LP for $90 (link); an SX Melody Maker type (link) or any number of Tele clones for around the same price. I'd avoid a Strat (or anything else with a tremolo) for a beginner.

I bought the game for my stepson, who's already getting pretty decent on the guitar and who already has two electrics I bought for him (an Ibanez GA60 and a nice lemon drop GFS XV500 LP clone).

• Members

I don't see that as a shortcoming at all.. That's how I work things out. I go slow, then I speed up, realize I need to go slow again, then speed up again when I've got it worked out. That's a pretty normal learning method.

Yeah but you decide what section to play slow ahead of time. You don't just wait until you start screwing up a lot and then slow down.. at least I hope you don't because generally if you practice with mistakes then many of those mistakes will always be there.

When I'm learning a new piece I go slow from the very beginning and play the entire song (or section I'm working on) at that tempo. When I have it down at that tempo I up the tempo a couple of notches and start over.

With Rocksmith its more like you get 10 notes or so wrong and it slows down on you automatically. Get another 10 right and wham, back up to full tempo where you will instantly start getting them wrong again. Especially if you are a beginner. I have a friend who just picked up Rocksmith specifically as a teaching aid and these are all issues that he expressed to me.

• Members

What do you guys think of it as a tool for a fairly experienced player who wants to break out of a rut and start playing new/different kinds of music? Think it's good for that? (I've been consdiering getting a copy)

Yes. It can be a bit aggravating in how it ramps difficulty in a song, but you'll learn that the "leveler" is your friend.

• Members

I bought my 11 year old son Rocksmith for Christmas. I bundled it with 3 games at Best Buy with their Buy 2 get one free deal on their website. He already has a guitar.

I bought him a used Yamaha Pacifica 112 for $60.00 a few weeks ago. I upgraded the cheap stock tuners with a used set of Schallers and set it up. I went with the Pacifica because it has the S/S/H (will cover a wide range of styles) and Yamaha makes good guitars. I went used because I wanted something that was inexpensive and dinged up a bit so there are no worries about banging it up.

I am hoping Rocksmith motivates him to play more often.

• Members

What do you guys think of it as a tool for a fairly experienced player who wants to break out of a rut and start playing new/different kinds of music? Think it's good for that? (I've been consdiering getting a copy)

I wouldn't. I tried playing a few songs on it up at Guitar Center and I couldn't get the hang of it. You will have to relearn how to play guitar. Plus you are only allowed to learn the songs on there. So its a bit limited. Its good for people who don't know how to play, but a pain in the arse for those who do know.

• Members

I wouldn't. I tried playing a few songs on it up at Guitar Center and I couldn't get the hang of it. You will have to relearn how to play guitar. Plus you are only allowed to learn the songs on there. So its a bit limited. Its good for people who don't know how to play, but a pain in the arse for those who do know.

That's overstating things a bit... you have to learn a new type of what is basically color-coded TAB but you're not relearning how to play.

A few songs at GC don't even touch on the breadth of what this game offers.

• Members

I just traded some pickups for this game. Great deal, I'd say. The game is super fun. For the guy who asked, it's GREAT for breaking out of a rut. I rarely learn or cover songs, but after my first 3 hours or so of playing the game I've got a repertoire of around 8-10 songs that I've learned. And since they're mostly songs I normally wouldn't listen to or play, it's forcing me to expand a bit. So far nothing actually difficult to play, but it's pretty cool how fast I'm catching on to the tab and interface.

As for people saying it "slows down", it doesn't slow down at all. It simply gives you a downgraded riff to play at the same speed. So if you keep missing the bar chord over and over, it will downgrade you to JUST playing to root note on the downbeat. Once you get it down, it'll add in the fifth. Next thing you know, you've gone from playing single notes to full 6 string bar chords. It's actually pretty cool the way the game gradually throws stuff in. I'm not a tab guy, so I thought that would be the biggest challenge. Instead, the tab system is quite clever and becomes easier to follow as you play.

As for latency, mine was pretty bad using my typical HDMI setup. So now to play the game I ran my component audio from the PS3 to my receiver, and HDMI to my TV. I just changed the audio out to "Component" in the PS3 system settings and now the game runs FINE, without any latency. I have noticed though that I needed to crank the guitar audio level WAAY down in the game menu. I couldn't hear the accompaniment over my guitar. Not a good thing if you're trying to play a song you've never even heard before.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just get him the game, then look into a tele style body guitar. He is kinda into country, so it fits what he thinks a guitar looks like :p

Plus... should he ever decide he doesn't want to learn, cheap deal on a tele!!

• Members

FYI, I have played the game. I am not a genius guitar player, but I consider myself adequate. Have played in many groups etc. I found msyelf off in la la land wanking over the top of the game, and really enjoying myself!. I am not sure the guy I was playing with liked it though :p

Archived