Warming Drawer to Roast Neck

linthat22

• Members

Since, I'd like the stability that Guthrie Govan and other players get from having a roasted maple neck, I figured I'd go ahead and put the one I have in a warming drawing and see what happens.

It's your standard KitchenAid Architect series and goes up to 250 degrees. Figured if I go low and slow that I'll be able to suck all the moisture out of the neck.

What temperature do ya'll recommend and for how long. I was thinking at least a few days at around 90 degrees.

• Members

Just don't forget the BBQ sauce. PM me if you want a good recipe. I have several. The type of BBQ sauce really affects toanz. If you play jazz only for example, you don't want a super spicy sauce. That's best suited to harder rock styles.

• Members

You (well, at least I can) can purchase maple that has gone through this process, from some of the larger wood whole-salers.

One of the companies I deal with here in Canada, showed me a sample of the roasted maple last year when I was setting up my new woodworking facility. Not sure what the coast was per board foot.

If I can access it here, surely some of the lumber companies in the USA are also carrying it, which means some furniture or cabinet shops are using it. I guess you'd have to call around and see if it is available.

I am no expert, but I would hazard a guess the wood is processed as rough lumber and then machined into necks, not the other way 'round.

AJC

• Members

I just got one of these - one of the liveliest guitars I'd picked up in ages. I would attribute it partly to the "baked maple" fingerboard. Had no intention of buying a guitar but I couldn't pass it up. I compared it to the dual pup 60s SG tribute and the 50th anniversary Townshend SG. Neither of the latter were bad guitars but this little f'er outshined them. My perception is that the baked maple defines the highs a bit better (like adding a dash of maple board Tele, a little more snap and pop on the top end), and maybe even a bit more sustain (that could also be less string pull, with single pup versus two). Compared to the other two guitars, I liked the neck best on this one also.

gibson-sg-junior-60s.jpg

Gibson SG JR 60s Tribute Heritage Cherry Features:

(Important to note: the sales dept had their repair shop set up the SG Jr before they put it out on the floor - due to an less than stellar production set up. Admittedly, I might not have bought the guitar if it weren't for a great set up.)

• Members

You (well, at least I can) can purchase maple that has gone through this process, from some of the larger wood whole-salers.

One of the companies I deal with here in Canada, showed me a sample of the roasted maple last year when I was setting up my new woodworking facility. Not sure what the coast was per board foot.

If I can access it here, surely some of the lumber companies in the USA are also carrying it, which means some furniture or cabinet shops are using it. I guess you'd have to call around and see if it is available.

I am no expert, but I would hazard a guess the wood is
processed as rough lumber and then machined into necks, not the other way 'round

AJC

Would have to be that way, especially for laminated necks.

Glued neck blanks would not withstand that temperature.

• Members

I'd recommend bacon grease, and an oven temperature of at least 450 degrees F.

Only the cheap imports use bacon "grease". I will only buy baked maple that's cure wrapped in 100% virgin bacon. Wrap with raw bacon, secure with toothpicks, roast slowly at 375 degrees for 6 hours. Remove bacon, feed to dog, reattach to guitar and enter a world of blessed ultra fast shredding.

• Members

I just got one of these - one of the liveliest guitars I'd picked up in ages. I would attribute it partly to the "baked maple" fingerboard. Had no intention of buying a guitar but I couldn't pass it up. I compared it to the dual pup 60s SG tribute and the 50th anniversary Townshend SG. Neither of the latter were bad guitars but this little f'er outshined them. My perception is that the baked maple defines the highs a bit better (like adding a dash of maple board Tele, a little more snap and pop on the top end), and maybe even a bit more sustain (that could also be less string pull, with single pup versus two). Compared to the other two guitars, I liked the neck best on this one also.

gbsgj6hcch1-LG.jpg

Gibson SG JR 60s Tribute Heritage Cherry Features:

• Genuine Mahogany Body

• Mahogany (Slim Taper) Neck

• Baked Maple Fingerboard

• 12" Neck Radius

• 22 Frets

• 24 3/4" Scale Lenth

• Chrome Hardware

• Lightning Bar Bridge/Tailpiece

• White Button Tuners

• Gibson P-90