57 HW Deluxe vs. DRRI

datru

• Members

I played the Fender 57 Deluxe HW (hand-wired) today and was blown away. It sounded full and warm and made me wish it didn't cost 2000 bucks.

For half the money, there is a special edition Deluxe Reverb RI with the same alnico speaker. Has anyone played one of these? I only see it online. I'm wondering how it compares.

Other options for similar tone are welcome, but I'm not interested in modelers (been there) or super-cheap amps.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71524.001_wine_red_V.jp

• Members

There are a few small builders that will build you a hand-wired DR clone starting around $1200 and they'll probably be more period-correct. The most famous DR-inspired, but original, boutique is the Allen Accomplice. Headstrong also makes BF Fender-inspired amps.

And the DRRI has been a reliable workhorse for a good 15+ years.

• Members

The good thing about not hearing/feeling the difference between handwired stuff and the PCB stuff is you can save yourself some money. :thu:

I had a DRRI and liked it just fine... I've had even cheaper amps that I like just fine as well, but I just think there's something reassuring about the more basic, point-to-point built amps than the PCB jobs, regardless of how either of them sound.

Of course, comparing the 57 Deluxe to the DRRI is a radical change. The 57 Deluxe is a Tweed design and comapared to the DRRI (or any Blackface Deluxe Reverb type amp) has a very raw, immediate sound, more midrange and a looser bottom end, less crystalline top end and less headroom which lends itself to the almost ready to explode vibe some folks like. It's also radically more touch responsive than the Blackface Deluxes. If you want a 5E3 type amp, well, Fenders is radically overpriced in my opinion but it has the Fender name on it. I've seen used 5E3s for a bit under $600 and, while I'm not saying anyone can build one, it's a very basic amp.

Having said that, I have no doubt that if you randomly took 100 HCEGers and had them compare the 57 Handwired and the DRRI, both in stock form, more would prefer the DRRI even if they could play through them both for an hour or so. They just sound very different.

• Members

The good thing about not hearing/feeling the difference between handwired stuff and the PCB stuff is you can save yourself some money.
:thu:

I had a DRRI and liked it just fine... I've had even cheaper amps that I like just fine as well, but I just think there's something reassuring about the more basic, point-to-point built amps than the PCB jobs, regardless of how either of them sound.

Of course, comparing the 57 Deluxe to the DRRI is a radical change.The 57 Deluxe is a Tweed design and comapared to the DRRI (or any Blackface Deluxe Reverb type amp) has a very raw, immediate sound, more midrange and a looser bottom end, less crystalline top end and less headroom which lends itself to the almost ready to explode vibe some folks like. It's also radically more touch responsive than the Blackface Deluxes. If you want a 5E3 type amp, well, Fenders is radically overpriced in my opinion but it has the Fender name on it. I've seen used 5E3s for a bit under $600 and, while I'm not saying anyone can build one, it's a very basic amp.

Having said that, I have no doubt that if you randomly took 100 HCEGers and had them compare the 57 Handwired and the DRRI, both in stock form, more would prefer the DRRI even if they could play through them both for an hour or so. They just sound very different.

I totally missed the point where he was asking about the '57 Tweed Deluxe RI. Tweeds are compared to Marshalls and not BF Fenders for a reason. You are a dead on. There are plenty of Tweed Deluxe/5E3 clones available new for $800-900 and even less used.

• Members

I might be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the recent Jensens. Maybe the P12Q in that particular amp is an exception and might even be built in a different factory, but after having basically a no-name, generic clone with various speakers but primarily an Alnico Weber Silver Bell in it for the better part of a year, playing the $2,000 Fender at Sweetwater was definitely a let down. I preferred mine to the Fender. Granted, the speaker probably wasn't broken in yet at the one at Sweetwater, but it was definitely enough to make me very happy with my purchase.

Now the one with the piano black Art Deco cab and the Celestion Blue, while I never played one or even seen one in person, might be enough to make me break out the check book if I had that kind of spare coin laying around, but for a player's amp... no way... I'd skip the Fender-branded stuff altogether, personally.

• Members

I might be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of the recent Jensens. Maybe the P12Q in that particular amp is an exception and might even be built in a different factory, but after having basically a no-name, generic clone with various speakers but primarily an Alnico Weber Silver Bell in it for the better part of a year, playing the $2,000 Fender at Sweetwater was definitely a let down. I preferred mine to the Fender. Granted, the speaker probably wasn't broken in yet at the one at Sweetwater, but it was definitely enough to make me very happy with my purchase.

Now the one with the
piano black Art Deco cab and the Celestion Blue
, while I never played one or even seen one in person, might be enough to make me break out the check book if I had that kind of spare coin laying around, but for a player's amp... no way... I'd skip the Fender-branded stuff altogether, personally.

Yeah, I was broke in grad school when they blew them out for $1400, but Doc Jeff got one.

• Members

Used is certainly an option, or maybe a kit. The problem with a kit is not being able to hear it until your done, then it's yours anyway.

As much as I liked the 57 deluxe, I am really curious to hear this particular edition of the DRRI. It looks like they are not shipping for a little while, I might wait and try one from a dealer with a return policy.

Frankly I don't have any money available for any amp right now.

• Members

Honestly, I think the current Jensens aren't nearly as good as what you can get from Weber.

A used DRRI with your choice of speaker and some decent but modestly-priced NOS tubes is very likely to sound better than any stock DRRI, regardless of which version.

In my opinion... though the red/wheat does look pretty cool. :thu:

• Members

There are some problems with the reissues Fender makes over PTP hand-wired stuff:

1. TUBE RATTLE. Something about these cheaply made PCB amps and how the tubes are mounted to a PC board makes the TUBES SHAKE when the amp is cranked. Sometimes it will do it on certain notes more than others. It really sucks.

2. Impossible to fix/mod easily. When a resistor burns out or a cap fails, the fact that everything is mounted to a wafer thin PC board makes it very difficult to replace parts.

3. Cheap transformers, cheap pots, cheap components, cheap cabs, cheap speaker etc etc etc....

4. Overpriced for what you get. Seriously look into some tweed Deluxe clones or Deluxe Reverb clones from hand builders. Better quality at a cheaper price. Capitalism and all.

• Members

Yeah, I kinda dig the Rivera-era stuff. My last Twin was a Rivera Twin II. Heavy, but they sound like a Fender.

A lot of folks don't like their gain tones, but I kinda got along well with mine. It's not a high gain tone and in my experience, it didn't work well with a pedal boosting the gain channel, but the gain channel itself was voiced somewhere in the neighborhood of a Dumble... low, singing gain with more natural sustain than actual grit. I think he was going for the early Boogie tone in general.

For a long time, the Rivera-era II series amps were almost the lowest rung on the Fender tube ladder, before the reissues anyway though prices have been creeping up. I certainly would not rule one out. I only sold mine because after owning two different Twins and then this one, I'd literally own it for two years before I brought it in the house and upstairs. I just don't have any time for anything bigger than a 1x12 or a 2x10 anymore.

• Members

4. Overpriced for what you get. Seriously look into some tweed Deluxe clones or Deluxe Reverb clones from hand builders. Better quality at a cheaper price. Capitalism and all.

Just curious, where have you seen "reputable builders" making Deluxe Reverbs for less than reissue? Every variant I've seen has a been a good bit more. However, some things can cost more and still be a better value.

I'm happy with my DRRI, and especially used they are a good value to getting into blackface tones. It's not the *perfect* amp, but most amps that would be a substantial upgrade (to me at least) also cost a substantial bit more, so I've stayed put. The previous owner of my DRRI had done some fairly minor modifications (mainly better tubes and a handful of component swaps - I lost the sheet so I don't know which anymore), but for whatever reason I really prefer the tone of my personal DRRI to the one in my rehearsal studio, which I can't say I really love to be honest.

• Members

Just curious, where have you seen "reputable builders" making Deluxe Reverbs for less than reissue? Every variant I've seen has a been a good bit more. However, some things can cost more and still be a better value.

I'm happy with my DRRI, and especially used they are a good value to getting into blackface tones. It's not the *perfect* amp, but most amps that would be a substantial upgrade (to me at least) also cost a substantial bit more, so I've stayed put. The previous owner of my DRRI had done some fairly minor modifications (mainly better tubes and a handful of component swaps - I lost the sheet so I don't know which anymore), but for whatever reason I really prefer the tone of my personal DRRI to the one in my rehearsal studio, which I can't say I really love to be honest.

Personally, the only thing I don't like about the DRRI and PRRI is that satellite PCB they use for the pots/jacks and the ribbon cable that connects it to the main circuit. But I've found the DRRI at least to be very stable and the PCB's are durable and well-laid out for mods.

I certainly couldn't name a DR clone that is less than the DRRI new ($999 street?), though they can get close, I've seen some builders offering them for $1200 and you can get a DRRI that has been hand-wired by Geo. Alessandro for $1400...not to shabby, his own amps start around $2500. I don't see many DR clones used, and those I do are usually kit built and it's way to complicate a circuit for me to trust the great unwashed to assemble.

Still the BFDR/SFDR/DRRI is apples to oranges compared to the '57 Deluxe.

• Members

He makes a bigger one of the DR, not named the Gig-O-Mite, though I've seen those. I thought that the DR $850. It might have been a prototype they had for sale at the shop. He drops off the protos sometimes so he can get player feedback. He had a nice Dumble clone there a few months ago that he was perfecting.

• Members

Maybe a Silverface DR could be an option? It's one of the last amps that CBS got around to {censored}ing up, and to about the mid 70's are really close to a Blackface.

The only reason I don't recommend older amps much anymore is because there is no way for the layman to know how much TLC they require, and it can add up fast. Besides the obvious problem spots...old tubes, old speakers, old electrolytic caps, there is the chance that any resistor or capacitor in the amp has drifted way out of tolerance or even stopped working altogether. Everything must be blue-printed and checked and problems addressed to get the full potential and reliability out of the amp.

Besides SFDR's now average a little more than $1,000, it's really the largest vitnage Fender that most players will ever need, so they are now priced well above Vibroluxes, Pros, Twins, etc.

Archived