Douglas Gravity guitar, anyone here have one?

DARKMETL/

• Members

The general opinion around here is that Douglas is a bit better than SX, but not quite as good as Agile. Kurt (at Rondo) indicated to me that the Douglas necks are a bit slimmer and the frets are not quite the "super jumbo" as the frets on the SX guitars.

They sure do look nice, as well.

• Members

Hmmmm, maybe I need to be the guinea pig here and nab one.

I second that! I'd feel pretty confident in buying just about anything from Rondo, Kurt will let you return anything for any reason, or make it right with a partial refund, nothing to lose, really

• Members

Definitely the darker one, it looks way better. The lighter one makes it look more like a $140 dollar guitar.

Yeah, I would like to see some other actual owner pics to see how close they match the Rondo photos. Would kinda suck if they don't look close to the website pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thinking about dropping a Bigsby B5 and some GFS Retrotron Pickups in it if I do it.

1190975929_b50_gold_w450_h400.jpg

hotlialovhug.jpg

That would be a good choice in my books and I like the gold hardware. I would also like to add a single coil to it and a 5-way switch to get a variety of tones include the typical tele tone.

• Members

That would be a good choice in my books and I like the gold hardware. I would also like to add a single coil to it and a 5-way switch to get a variety of tones include the typical tele tone.

Well, I am not sure if I will be able to do the pickup/Bigsby mods, thats about $300 worth of upgrades to a $140 guitar which isn't going to fly right now. I do have some different pickups already which may go into it, we'll see.

• Members

Sorry I am late in on this one. I had one and sold it. It had a few minor finish flaws and very loud honky sounding pickups that I changed out immediately. The neck had a scarfed joint at the headstock which I never understood since there was no back tilt on the headstock. The neck had a very light satin poly finish. I had an SX Strat I bought at the same time and the SX was better in terms of finish and playability except for the pumpkin orange neck tint.

Some guys claim the Douglas guitars are better than the SX but that was not my experience. This was a few years back just before they "disappeared" from the Rondo lineup so they may have come back new and improved.

I bought a similar guitar by Deltatone and really like it. The neck has a gloss finish and proper tele headstock. Also, it has a carved top while the Douglas is a flat top and the string-through body makes it a little snappier sounding.

1003784.jpg

1003788q.jpg

• Members

A local mom and pop in Aurora IL had them. I just did a search and I think the Deltatone brand is defunct. I would take a run at that Vintage Sunburst Douglas. $140 bucks and it's a pretty nice piece, different from the Squiers. I would throw a pair of gold pickup covers on it and play it. Later down the road, you may want to give it a GFS transplant. The Nashvilles will get you twangin'!

• Members

HB tele......yawn

"no no no, that's too derivative, lets think OUTSIDE the box! Lets meld TWO 50yr old technologies!"

There's nothing about that guitar that screams Tele except the body shape and thats why I like it. I don't need a traditional Tele, already have one.

Archived