East West Fab Four. Yay or Nay?

BeanoBoy

• Members

Dude, I bought that a few years ago and had nothing but trouble with it. Crashing, etc... Their customer support told me to update everything: New samples downloaded from EW, The iLock security software protection {censored} needed updated, the PLAY sample engine needed updating. So I did, I followed all of their instructions to the letter and it still would NOT work properly, it would just CRASH my system. After weeks of this, and several calls, they gave me the inevitable "Sorry, dude." while admitting that the engine still "had issues" - SO, I asked if I could return it, since I had only had it for about a month and couldn't use it, and they practically laughed at me "you can't return the software". :mad: I am convinced however that it has something to do with PACE (the iLock dongle thing bull{censored}) more than anything else, but the bottom line is I have a nice looking cardboard box that cost me $300. I thought the sounds were great in the demos...but unfortunately I will NEVER EVER buy anything from East West again. {censored} THEM. YMMV

• Members

Dude, I bought that a few years ago and had nothing but trouble with it. Crashing, etc... Their customer support told me to update everything: New samples downloaded from EW, The iLock security software protection {censored} needed updated, the PLAY sample engine needed updating. So I did, I followed all of their instructions to the letter and it still would NOT work properly, it would just CRASH my system. After weeks of this, and several calls, they gave me the inevitable "Sorry, dude." while admitting that the engine still "had issues" - SO, I asked if I could return it, since I had only had it for about a month and couldn't use it, and they practically laughed at me "you can't return the software".
:mad:
I am convinced however that it has something to do with PACE (the iLock dongle thing bull{censored}) more than anything else, but the bottom line is I have a nice looking cardboard box that cost me $300. I thought the sounds were great in the demos...but unfortunately I will NEVER EVER buy anything from East West again. {censored} THEM. YMMV

What computer are you using and what daw are you running? Sounds like a nightmare alright!

• Members

I have a recent HP (not sure of the model off the top of my head) with a {censored}load of RAM in it and Vista 64. Believe it or not I usually track in ACID Pro. Now, before you go down the path of talking about how ACID Pro doesn't properly host VSTi's and {censored} (like EW did) I point to you that Fab Four also has a STAND ALONE instrument that is ALSO installed in the package that doesn't require a host. I couldn't get the STAND ALONE version to work! Yeah, that shut the EW support up. I also have SONAR, which doesn't have issues hosting VSTi's and it doesn't work there either. The bottom line is the product was shipped full of bugs, everything from the samples to the sample engine, to the PACE security utility and they issued a bunch of updates to "fix" it soon after the fact, creating a nightmare of installing and uninstalling and getting license limitations etc...(you ever try to FULLY uninstall PACE or iLock software???????)

The thing that killed me was that they fully admitted that the {censored} had bugs, but wouldn't refund my money or even offer me a discount or something.

• Members

I have it and it worked great right out of the box. It's a pretty cool package. Somewhere I have a tune I used it on. If you want I'll try to find it and post.

Maybe you got the version that was shipped with all the updates already on the disc so you got a 'clean' version. I'm convinced that having to install it, uninstall it and install tons of updates, are what ruined it on my system, especially that f**kin' security software {censored} where you can never really uninstall it all. :mad:

• Members

I have actually had it for a long time. Not sure though, if something works I never update it unless I absolutely have to.

iLok doesn't bother me at all. I actually have two of them, one older one and one new one for PTHD and my Waves Mercury.

• Members

I am using Snow leopard and I had to look this up, the whole thing is slightly obscure. ( I had no idea of the key combo to get 64 bit mode fer instance)

But I figured if you are thinking that the 64 bit difference might be your culprit I just wanted to point out that feature.

• Members

BG76, that was excellent! You've made good use of a library that is inherently limiting in its scope of tones, and I applaud you.

Dude, I bought that a few years ago and had nothing but trouble with it. Crashing, etc... Their customer support told me to update everything: New samples downloaded from EW, The iLock security software protection {censored} needed updated, the PLAY sample engine needed updating. So I did, I followed all of their instructions to the letter and it still would NOT work properly, it would just CRASH my system. After weeks of this, and several calls, they gave me the inevitable "Sorry, dude." while admitting that the engine still "had issues" - SO, I asked if I could return it, since I had only had it for about a month and couldn't use it, and they practically laughed at me "you can't return the software".
:mad:
I am convinced however that it has something to do with PACE (the iLock dongle thing bull{censored}) more than anything else, but the bottom line is I have a nice looking cardboard box that cost me $300. I thought the sounds were great in the demos...but unfortunately I will NEVER EVER buy anything from East West again. {censored} THEM. YMMV

As someone who has purchased several libraries from them and have tried to get proper support from them over the course of a few months, I can attest that EAST/WEST has indeed created the most bug-laden sampler/player (PLAY), only made worse by customer service that is absolutely deplorable. PLAY installation seemed to be a straight-forward deal, but getting things up and running and trying to use it regularly without problems is a frustrating ordeal.

This is especially sad, because as a soundtrack writer, Ra, Silk, and Gypsy have become indispensable in the work I do. Updates have rendered a number of patches useless, crashes after loading PLAY libraries still happens, PLAY sometimes loses track of where library sample locations are (without warning), and to read up on the EAST/WEST forum that I'm probably one of hundreds of people still waiting for CS support has made me lose a lot of respect for the quality of the patches themselves. Curiously enough, working with my iLok dongle was the easiest part of the equation.

Bugs in a product may be expected, but the way the EAST/WEST staff responds to (or shall I say practically rebuffs in ignorance?) consistent issues across the board is just plain unprofessional.

On the other hand, Tonehammer (Soundiron/8Dio) and Cinesamples both running via NI's Kontakt has been absolutely flawless. Heck, Kontakt is a fantastic base for the support of all kinds of libraries, and will get my patronage for a very long time.

• Members

BG76, that was excellent! You've made good use of a library that is inherently limiting in its scope of tones, and I applaud you.

As someone who has purchased several libraries from them and have tried to get proper support from them over the course of a few months, I can attest that EAST/WEST has indeed created the most bug-laden sampler/player (PLAY), only made worse by customer service that is absolutely deplorable. PLAY installation seemed to be a straight-forward deal, but getting things up and running and trying to use it regularly without problems is a frustrating ordeal.

This is especially sad, because as a soundtrack writer, Ra, Silk, and Gypsy have become indispensable in the work I do. Updates have rendered a number of patches useless, crashes after loading PLAY libraries still happens, PLAY sometimes loses track of where library sample locations are (without warning), and to read up on the EAST/WEST forum that I'm probably one of hundreds of people still waiting for CS support has made me lose a lot of respect for the quality of the patches themselves. Curiously enough, working with my iLok dongle was the easiest part of the equation.

Bugs in a product may be expected, but the way the EAST/WEST staff responds to (or shall I say practically rebuffs in ignorance?) consistent issues across the board is just plain unprofessional.

On the other hand, Tonehammer (Soundiron/8Dio) and Cinesamples both running via NI's Kontakt has been absolutely flawless. Heck, Kontakt is a fantastic base for the support of all kinds of libraries, and will get my patronage for a very long time.

I bought KONTAKT last year and have had zero issues with it on any host or stand alone. :thu: The bonuses have been that NI sometimes offers instruments for KONTAKT at crazy prices throughout the year, sometimes 50% or more off to registered users! EastWest may have some very unique libraries and excellent samples, but IF YOU CAN'T USE THEM, WHAT IS THE POINT!? I felt the way they treated me was really {censored}ty, and I've usually been able to get things working with just about anyone over the years.

• Members

I bought KONTAKT last year and have had zero issues with it on any host or stand alone. :thu: The bonuses have been that NI sometimes offers instruments for KONTAKT at crazy prices throughout the year, sometimes 50% or more off to registered users! EastWest may have some very unique libraries and excellent samples, but IF YOU CAN'T USE THEM, WHAT IS THE POINT!? I felt the way they treated me was really {censored}ty, and I've usually been able to get things working with just about anyone over the years.

Archived