Why do people ONLY care about an amp's clean channel?

Felix_Unger

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of players don't understand what a good clean channel is. All tube amps are basically distortion generators. Even a pristine sounding Blackface clean has an element of distortion that plays a large part in the complexity and character of the sound. Yes, it is easy to get a clean sound out of most amps; but getting high quality clean sounds is very difficult and involves selecting the right power transformer, output transformer, caps, pots, resistors, tubes, wire, cable, speakers and cabinet materials, not to mention the design of the cabinet itself.

The exact same thing could be said about distortion channels. Although there is a lot of room for personal preference in terms of both what constitutes a good clean sound and a good distortion sound, we have become accustomed to certain tones over the years that, collectively, we've decided are cool. But those cool sounds, whether clean or overdriven, can be elusive even in so-called reissues. But for me, amps with great sounding cleans are fewer and further between than those with great sounding distortion channels.

• Members

It must be pretty awesome to not be able to tell the difference between a Gorilla clean and Blackface clean.

For what it's worth, pure cleans are pretty neat, but to me where an amp or amp/pedal combo really shines is when it just hits breakup... AC15s, Tweed Deluxes, 18W Marshalls and even the smaller Blackface amps are so popular among many players for a very good reason. But again, it must be great to NOT appreciate those kinds of amps driven to exactly that level.

• Members

If an amp has a crap OD channel, you can make it sound good with pedals. OTOH, if an amp has a crap clean channel, nothing is going to help that sound better...

I agree. If the clean is good you can get all the other sounds out of it you want with pedals, effects or a synth.

Archived