Anyone use Stainless guitar strings?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I don't use them any more but I did for a little while. They had a nice response and lasted quite a while longer than nickel strings. A little bit brighter too but not too much. I think the only down side is that if you're quite a hard player you might end up chewing your frets up unless they're stainless steel. For me it wasn't a problem but I can see why it would be.

• Members

I think the only down side is that if you're quite a hard player you might end up chewing your frets up unless they're stainless steel.

I don't use them but I can see that this would be likely. I have a strat with SS frets and it goes through standard strings a lot faster than my other guitars. I can always tell it's time to chance because there are noticeable bumps at each fret. Granted I believe I am a hard player even though I try not to be...so much so I expect that I'll wear out the SS frets...it will just take 10-20 years to do so

• Members

Years ago I used the Dean Markley Blue Steel strings for about a year. I thought that they were good. I then went to GHS nickel rockers for that more vintage sound. I now use elixirs so as to save money and I am finding that I genuinely like the sound of them.

Anyway, I would give the steel strings a try if I were you. You can sometimes get musically inspired by simply changing strings. Heck, I might join you!

Archived