Ever have a guitar you love, but don't use?

mightysasquatch

• Members

I have a '92 Fender American Standard Tele that is my main guitar, I also have a modded MIM Strat, and a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe (ES-335 style).

I love the Hagstrom. I love the way it plays and the way it looks. It is light, comfortable, and has a very fast neck. It's fit and finish is superb.

However, i never seem to find a use for it in my songs, the Tele covers almost everything I need. I just don't require the sound of the Viking. I am thinking the humbuckers are the issue, but I don't care for P-90's either.

I only have one amp now, a heavily modded Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I am thinking of selling the Hagstrom and using the money to buy either a SF Vibrochamp or a Lil' Dawg 5E3 Tweed Deluxe lunchbox head to run in stereo with my DRRI.

Anyone else run into this?

• Members

I have one of those Charvel Jeff Beck models. I always wanted one and it came up cheap on ebay a couple years ago so I picked it up. Played it for about 10 minutes and never played it again but I am happy knowing I own it. It's one of the only guitars I ever owned with a fancy trem system and I have never changed the strings on it for that reason. I think he played an American one and this one is Japanese but it's the one I remember seeing in the AMS catalog way back in the late 80s/early 90s and it was the color I wanted.

Also have what was sold as a TV Yellow (more like French's Yellow Mustard) Gibson SG that sounds good but hasn't seen the light of day in a few years. It was cool for about 15 minutes in the 90s and a Les Paul Goldtop that sounds good but I bought an older one since buying it so I don't play it that much.

Kind of dumb to hang onto this stuff but I guess it's kind of sentimental and I have the closet space.

216732_1023063705765_1500407054_30082698

230305_1044392198964_1500407054_30141568

165557_183534208347824_183527231681855_5

• Members

My Charvel falls into this group. I love the guitar, and it plays great, but the bridge has an intonation screw that won't hold the saddle down. I could get it fixed, but the guitar has such huge sentimental value to me, I don't want to mess with it. So, it lives in the case, safely out of harm's way. I guess I should fix it, huh?

• Members

my dano convertible. it was my only "acoustic" for years and has become something of a beater in the years since i got my Taylor. it's not really good at anything except being a cheap, funky guitar. it's not really an acoustic. it only has one pickup, and that pickup is in the middle of the soundhole, so it has feedback issues with distortion. so right now its strung in New Standard Tuning. if it can't be useful, it might as well be different.

• Members

I have a Taylor T5. Fantastic guitar, beautiful blue, nice neck, wonderful tone. But, I play my strat 75% of the time and the tele 25% of the time. The biggest reason, volume and tone knobs are up by the neck area and the pickup switch is on the side of the body up in the same area. Thayare a pain to adjust on the fly...may sound silly, but they are just inconvenient. I noodle with it a good bit, but seldom play it live. Probably wouldn't get rid of it though because I like it so much, I just don't see myself using it live much.

4504726909_e2b8608b0a.jpg

• Members

I have a '92 Fender American Standard Tele that is my main guitar, I also have a modded MIM Strat, and a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe (ES-335 style).

I love the Hagstrom. I love the way it plays and the way it looks. It is light, comfortable, and has a very fast neck. It's fit and finish is superb.

However, i never seem to find a use for it in my songs, the Tele covers almost everything I need. I just don't require the sound of the Viking. I am thinking the humbuckers are the issue, but I don't care for P-90's either.

I only have one amp now, a heavily modded Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I am thinking of selling the Hagstrom and using the money to buy either a SF Vibrochamp or a Lil' Dawg 5E3 Tweed Deluxe lunchbox head to run in stereo with my DRRI.

Anyone else run into this?

had an '88 ibanez radius that I just couldn't connect with. I bought it because I got a good deal on it, love how they look and thought maybe I'd find a soul in there eventually. Ended up trading it for something I'd use.

• Members

My twelve stringers--a Rick 360 and an Epi Elitist Riviera. I love playing them, but they don't see much action. I did have the Rick out for my church gig last Sunday. Christmas music--I Wonder as I Wander and Away in a Manger sounded sweet with the 12 string along with an acoustic guitar.

• Members

My twelve stringers--a Rick 360 and an Epi Elitist Riviera. I love playing them, but they don't see much action. I did have the Rick out for my church gig last Sunday. Christmas music--I Wonder as I Wander and Away in a Manger sounded sweet with the 12 string along with an acoustic guitar.

that's exactly why i bought a Dano 12. i couldn't justify spending $1500 (at the time) on a Ric 660/12 for it to get played 3 times a year.

• Members

My Gary Moore sig LP. I love that guitar and I don't think I'll ever part with it unless a better Les Paul is within my financial reach (not likely). I rarely use it but when I do, I enjoy it a lot.

At present, my most used electric is my PAC904. My SA2200 is still my favorite guitar but I'm not reaching for it much these days being so "involved" with the Pacifica at the moment.

• Members

My Fender Strat. High school graduation present. Modded to all gitout, but I could return to stock if I wanted to. Don't think it's going anywhere though, lots of memories in it.

EDIT: Here it is pre mods in 2006. It now has fender deluxe locking tuners, new neck plate, BWB pickguard and BG pickups with cts pots, mojotone blend pot.

attachment.php?attachmentid=341104&d=132

• Members

I have several like that. Most notably, my two oldest guitars, which I've also had the longest. Each has some playability issues, especially the '60 Duo-Sonic, but also the Ovation Breadwinner from a decade or so later, which has always been finicky.

I keep these mainly for sentimental reasons.

92630662_ff2d6110d2.jpg

89322043_f6ac1ee01c.jpg

Of the more active stable, there are still a few that get played considerably less than others. Especially my Daisy Rock Retro-H 12-string. To a lesser extent, my Ric 620, '52 Tele RI, Gretsh/Electromatic Special Jet, and Brownsville Choirboy.

Archived