Best Strat Sized P-90?

DaveGrima

• Members

Im looking for some Strat sized P90s for my Melody Maker. Theres a few companies who make em. Harmonic Design, Rio Grande, Vintage VIbe. .Can anyone vouch for any of these? Theres not many clips of any of these anywhere. Id like to get the BG MM90s but I dont think I can wait 2 months. Merry Christmas .

• Members

I think Im gonna try the Harmonic Design Super 90. Theyre critically acclaimed and not too expensive at all for boutique type stuff. $85 bucks a pop. According to their website, Vintage Guitar rated the Tele version #1 in a Tele Bridge Pup shootout or something. Thats impressive considering theyre competing against, Bardens, and Fralins etc. Theres like no clips anywhere of them but Ill trust Vintage Guitar Magazine's taste in pickups. This company knows what they're doing. They basically invented the Humbucker sized P-90, the Z-90. Surprised I never hear about em more around here. Anyway thanks everyone and Happy Xmas

• Members

Unless they've changed the route, you can't fit a Strat PU in a MM route without some carving. The Strat SC's larger, triangular base and wider coil screws it up. A MM RI PU is nothing more than a single humbucker coil mounted on a strip of brass.

BG and Vintage Vibe will custom wind you a MM version of the Strat-sized P-90, but you can't buy off the shelf.

And the best Strat-sized is the Fralin Steel Pole 43.

• Members

Unless they've changed the route, you can't fit a Strat PU in a MM route without some carving. The Strat SC's larger, triangular base and wider coil screws it up. A MM RI PU is nothing more than a single humbucker coil mounted on a strip of brass.

BG and Vintage Vibe will custom wind you a MM version of the Strat-sized P-90, but you can't buy off the shelf.

And the best
Strat
-sized is the Fralin Steel Pole 43.

Oh well the previous owner must have already modded it because it has Duncan SC sized HBs in it.

• Members

Curtis Novak makes a surface mount P90 specifically designed for your application.

Wow thats interesting. Will the Neck pickup fit too? Thats why I decided to get SC size P-90s because I measured the clearance, and I didnt think a Dogear would fit without some routing and crap done to it.

• Members

Oh well the previous owner must have already modded it because it has
Duncan SC sized HBs
in it.

Yeah, that would fit, many SD pickups don't use the large Strat PU base.

SD Rails...

SCR-1.jpg

SD SC-sized HB's...

SL59-1.jpg

Note the above don't have the Strat base that this Fralin SP does...

pufsp30.jpg

• Members

Yeah, that would fit, many SD pickups don't use the large Strat PU base.

SD Rails...

SCR-1.jpg

SD SC-sized HB's...

SL59-1.jpg

Note the above don't have the Strat base that this Fralin SP does...

pufsp30.jpg

Oh I might have to do some routing after all. Crap. Well it should be worth it for those Super 90s.

• Members

Oh I might have to do some routing after all. Crap. Well it should be worth it for those Super 90s.

Have you already ordered the PUs? Wyatt mentioned VV will wind your P90 to fit the MM if you wish.

Also, what didn't you like about the Little '59? (Or was it a JB Jr? I can't recall...) I'm thinking of picking up a MM and going the Little '59 route with it.

Archived