Best tuners for Les Paul guitars?

and

• Members

Basically I need to find a set of tuners that would keep my guitar in tune when playing live, it seems like I have to tune between each song these days. I have GFS tuners on a couple of my guitars (Les Paul copies), but those don't seem to hold tune that much better than stock tuners. Any recommendations?

• Members

my two cents (take it or leave it) is; before worrying about new tuners, take a look at how you're stringing your guitar first. 99% of the time, in my experience, poor tuning stability is not due to faulty tuners, but due to how the new strings are wound around the tuning peg when re-stringing. there are a number of really good tutorials on youtube that show how to do it. it's a cheap solution to most tuning stability issues.

• Members

my two cents (take it or leave it) is; before worrying about new tuners, take a look at how you're stringing your guitar first. 99% of the time, in my experience, poor tuning stability is not due to faulty tuners, but due to how the new strings are wound around the tuning peg when re-stringing. there are a number of really good tutorials on youtube that show how to do it. it's a cheap solution to most tuning stability issues.

This. More often than not, tuning issues are not caused by your tuners.

• Members

always had this problem, you would bend a string or do a neck bend or something and you would hear a "ping" and the string would go way flat, or sometimes even sharp, retuning it would not solve anything because the next bend you do would bring the pitch back where it was before.

i was stringing my guitar all wrong..i started doing the over-under wrap thing,--and a pinch of lube on the nut, problem solved.

• Members

For myself, I wrap as little string as possible around the tuning post.

This makes the Les Paul stay in tune, even though my mid-70's tuners are crap.

Put on Grovers and use as little wrap as possible, and it will stay for a long time.

• Members

They look swanky too:

Funny...when you typed 'skanky', it came out as 'swanky'. Pretty odd.

To the OP:

As others are eluding to...it isn't the tuners. Proper stringing, always tuning UP to a note, and properly cut nut will do the deed. New tuners will just cost you more money and you'll still have the problem.

• Members

I'd also recommend looking at the nut before swapping out the tuners. Back when I owned a Les Paul, the tuning hassles used to drive me crazy until I swapped out the regular POS nut for a bone nut. After that the guitar was completely stable, although a Hamer Studio quickly sent it out the door.

• Members

:thu:
For no other reason then cosmetics. I've had no tuning issues with the stock tuners but I like the look of the Rotomatics.

It's mostly aesthetic for me, too. I've never liked the Kluson tulip tuners. Grovers are more compact and they feel better to me.

Archived