No announcement yet.

Best tuners for Les Paul guitars?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tuners for Les Paul guitars?

Basically I need to find a set of tuners that would keep my guitar in tune when playing live, it seems like I have to tune between each song these days. I have GFS tuners on a couple of my guitars (Les Paul copies), but those don't seem to hold tune that much better than stock tuners. Any recommendations?

I'm running Grover Imperials on my Ibanez Artist and they work very well. They look swanky too:

Comment

Grover kluson green keys. Around $40 from stewmac
      My Gear
      Schecter Corsair
      TelePartsCaster x3
      Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
      Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
      Vox VT15
      Fender SCXD
      Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
      Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
      Vox AC4C1 amp
      Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

My Les Paul has the stock Kluson tuners and it stays in tune during gigs. What tuners does you LP have? A lot of different things can affect the ability of a guitar to stay in tune.

Comment

my two cents (take it or leave it) is; before worrying about new tuners, take a look at how you're stringing your guitar first. 99% of the time, in my experience, poor tuning stability is not due to faulty tuners, but due to how the new strings are wound around the tuning peg when re-stringing. there are a number of really good tutorials on youtube that show how to do it. it's a cheap solution to most tuning stability issues.
          INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

my two cents (take it or leave it) is; before worrying about new tuners, take a look at how you're stringing your guitar first. 99% of the time, in my experience, poor tuning stability is not due to faulty tuners, but due to how the new strings are wound around the tuning peg when re-stringing. there are a number of really good tutorials on youtube that show how to do it. it's a cheap solution to most tuning stability issues.

This. More often than not, tuning issues are not caused by your tuners.

Comment

I'll have to look into re-stringing differently, sounds like that might be it.

Comment

always had this problem, you would bend a string or do a neck bend or something and you would hear a "ping" and the string would go way flat, or sometimes even sharp, retuning it would not solve anything because the next bend you do would bring the pitch back where it was before.

i was stringing my guitar all wrong..i started doing the over-under wrap thing,--and a pinch of lube on the nut, problem solved.
                Amps-
                '82 Marshall JCM 800 2204
                CeriaTone 18w TMB clone
                Marshall JTM45 RI
                Class 5 combo with G10 Gold Alnico
                '63 RI Fender tube reverb unit
                '66 Fender vibro-champ

Cabs-
                1960A, 1961A, 1961B, 1966B, VS412

Guitars-
                80's Jackson Strat Custom shop
                Gibson VOS Les Paul R7 Gold top
                Gibson SG Standard Natural burst
                Fender '72 Tele Deluxe RI
                Epi '56 gold top

Comment

the "ping" you here is the string binding in the nut,get the nut issues solved and 95% of the tuning issues disappear.
                  HCGB trooper #187
                  A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

Grover's
                    My HC Classified Thread

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...Marshalls-More

Comment

the "ping" you here is the string binding in the nut,get the nut issues solved and 95% of the tuning issues disappear.

This ^.

BUUUUT if you still want to get new tuners, these rock: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-auto-trim-tuning-machines-3-per-side
                      SX SEG1STD,KY1 (CUS22,ASH22,STD24),STL50,SST (57,Ash,SE,LTD2),GG1LTD2,GG6CUS,GG7CUS,SJB75C4+1 (fretted,fretless),SJB (2-57,2-62),SPJ62,2-SB301 (fretted,fretless)
                      Douglas Shadow,WRL590,TL100,WOB826,WPB955,2-WPB980
                      Brice Z6 (fretted,fretless)
                      Agile AL2000 (minihum,prail),AL2500 (Albino,12) ,AL3000 (reg,neck-thru)
                      Squier Affinity Tele,Deluxe Jazz V
                      Oscar Schmidt OE40
                      Raven RP450,Yamaha BB404,Switch Signature Wild IV
                      First Act VE591,semi-hollow; PRS SE (Custom, Soapbar II,semi-hollow)

Comment

If you end up needing new tuners, I'd also recommend green key klusons...
                        ...when I'm 64...

Comment

I prefer good old Grover Rotomatics.
                          Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
                          Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

The stock tuners are fine.

Comment

For myself, I wrap as little string as possible around the tuning post.
                              This makes the Les Paul stay in tune, even though my mid-70's tuners are crap.
                              Put on Grovers and use as little wrap as possible, and it will stay for a long time.
                              Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                              Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                              Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                              BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                              Martin- 1972 D-35
                              Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                              Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                              "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X