If Gibson Were Gone..............

Steadfastly

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Realistically speaking, it would hurt the business end. Gibson sells a lot of high end guitars. Creatively speaking for the industry as a whole, I really don't think it'd be that devastating. They make fine instruments, to be sure, but they haven't really done anything all that new or interesting in quite a while, and SG and firebird aside, all their solid body models (imo) have been done better by other companies.

• Members

Yes, it would definitely matter if Gibson were gone from the industry. But it will not happen. The company may change ownership, but there is little reason to believe the company will end. The Gibson name has too much brand equity for it to not be profitable.

That said, I am not a fan and do not see a need to buy their products.

• Members

Yes, but indirectly. I'd like to think that it would create space in the market for something new, though the sad reality is probably that it would lead to even more copyists producing Gibson-style guitars, and Gibsons being stupid money used, even rubbish ones. The real scarcity of innovation in the electric guitar market is not the fault of the manufacturers, but the "four legs good, two legs bad!" mentality of the majority of buyers.

I think someone would buy the name and keep producing "Gibson" guitars.

Didn't somebody already do that?

• Members

Would the guitar world suffer if Gibson was out of business?

With so many manufacturers putting out excellent guitars I can't see it making any difference. What's your opinion.

It's an absurd, impossible hypothetical situation.

There is not possible way for Gibson to disappear in the modern business world. Their intellectual property and brand equity are worth more than 5 years of their gross income. Someone will always own and sell Gibson guitars.

But I agree with others, in short-term hiatus would drive used prices up, if just temporarily.

• Members

There would be a difference, since Gibson's absence in the market would leave a void. That's just the way it would be. I think it's presumptuous to assume Gibson's absence would have no effect at all.

I think at least one thing's fairly certain: if Gibson all of a sudden wasn't making new guitars, the market for used Gibsons would thrive as never before.

Archived