Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Gibson Were Gone..............

Would the guitar world suffer if Gibson was out of business?

With so many manufacturers putting out excellent guitars I can't see it making any difference. What's your opinion.
    Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

I think someone would buy the name and keep producing "Gibson" guitars.

Comment

Constantly bashing on a brand is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
      Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

Realistically speaking, it would hurt the business end. Gibson sells a lot of high end guitars. Creatively speaking for the industry as a whole, I really don't think it'd be that devastating. They make fine instruments, to be sure, but they haven't really done anything all that new or interesting in quite a while, and SG and firebird aside, all their solid body models (imo) have been done better by other companies.
        Guitars:
        Schecter Diamond Series S-1
        Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
        Schecter Damien Elite 8
        B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute Stealth
        B.C. Rich Mockingbird Special X
        Fender MIM Standard Telecaster
        LTD B-5E
        Peavey Raptor Plus

Amps:
        Laney Ironheart IRT60H
        Engl Gig Master 15
        Peavey XXX 212
        Roland Cube 30
        Vox AC4TV Mini
        Acoustic B200H
        Behringer Blue Devil 1x12

Comment

Even though I think Gibsons are overpriced and am not a fan of Henry J., I don't want to see them go under. They obviously offer something that many guitarists want in a guitar.
          ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
          Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

I don't think Gibson will disappear any time soon.
            If they do, someone will resurrect the name.
            Remember Hagstrom; Harmony and Zemaitis?
            i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Comment

Constantly bashing on a brand is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.

Cute, very cute.
              Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

I don't think Gibson will disappear any time soon.
                If they do, someone will resurrect the name.
                Remember Hagstrom; Harmony and Zemaitis?

Excuse me, but that's not what was asked. Regards, Steadfastly

Comment

It would definitely make a difference, IMO. Quality stuff coming out of there, in most cases it seems.
                  Good trades with: Torgeot, JoeGuitar717, Djfrank (x3), MorgMetal666, Dark Aegis, jdr94, newbuilder, Deerslayer, Arkery, 1960LesPaul, guitar_addict, dmc69(x2), Magh8
                  Also have good deals on Jemsite

Comment

if gibson went under, there would probably be more to worry about, in regards to guitar manufacturing/playing in general, than one guitar manufacturer going out of business. Like asking what if Ford or GM went out of business
                    "Don't bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid"

- Salvador Dali -

"I was trying to do too many things at the same time, which is my nature. But I was enjoying it, and I still do enjoy it."

- Jimi Hendrix -

Comment

Yes, it would definitely matter if Gibson were gone from the industry. But it will not happen. The company may change ownership, but there is little reason to believe the company will end. The Gibson name has too much brand equity for it to not be profitable.

That said, I am not a fan and do not see a need to buy their products.
                      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

eventually but it would take 50 years before people noticed.

but it aint going anywhere. Worst case scenario they will be bought out by Fender.

stuff:
                        52RI Tele
                        Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                        more stuff:
                        65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                        Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

If Gibson was gone then who would the other brands copy?
                          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Excuse me, but that's not what was asked. Regards, Steadfastly

i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Comment

I don't have anything for or against the current iteration of Gibson and certainly don't want to see them go under, their future has basically zero bearing on my guitar buying.
                              Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Working...
                              X