I know tube amps get all the love, but...

dmc69

• Members

I may have fallen in love with a small, practice, solid state amp. I bought myself a small Traynor DG-10 today on a whim. Turns out, this things sounds really good on a clean setting. It's surprisingly warm, but not muddy at all. I ran a strat through it. It was missing just a tad of that trebly sparkle, but the bass was nice and tight, not being overpowering. EQ was set at 12 for all settings. one word description for sound? Pleasant.

Not going to lie to myself here and say it's a tube amp killer, but really, what did you expect from a $40 amp?

The DG-10 is a 10 watt-er, with an 8" (!) Celestion speaker.

Why don't these amps get much love around here? Traynor especially. I don't work for them, nor am I a shiller, but I've only ever had good stuff from them. Add solid state amps to my list of good Traynor products.

:wave:

• Members

Its amazing how much those little solid-state amps have improved since I started playing back in the early 90's. I have a little Roland MicroCube that I have a ball with. In fact, since it is is what I noodle around on when I'm not doing a full-band rehearsals, it's the amp I play with the most.

• Members

I always use two amps for stereo effects so at my rehearsal room I use an old Mesa S.O.B. (Mark I type tube amp), on the other side I use a Crate Powerblock. It's not beautiful sounding but it's by no means unlistenable. It's a handy little pleasant sounding head. My buddy borrows it for for gigs and uses it as a bass head. I forget what I paid for it but it was cheap - a great deal.

_c926116_image_0.jpg

• Members

I've been singing the praises of the smaller Kustom stuff for years. On my workbench I have a Kustom KGA-10 that I got used at GC for $20. Just an amazing little amp. I also scour ebay for their KGA-65 model to replace the one I had years ago. Just can't be beat for the money.

• Members

Fender mustang amps ftw.

As much as I love my tube amps, I'm always amazed at the tones that come from my mustang 2.

I am getting ready to sell my newish Egnater Tweaker and get a M2 to go with the M3 I already have. I'm not kidding. That way I can bring the M3 into my future basement playroom, and keep an M2 in the family room :thu:

Archived