Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know tube amps get all the love, but...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know tube amps get all the love, but...

I may have fallen in love with a small, practice, solid state amp. I bought myself a small Traynor DG-10 today on a whim. Turns out, this things sounds really good on a clean setting. It's surprisingly warm, but not muddy at all. I ran a strat through it. It was missing just a tad of that trebly sparkle, but the bass was nice and tight, not being overpowering. EQ was set at 12 for all settings. one word description for sound? Pleasant.
    Not going to lie to myself here and say it's a tube amp killer, but really, what did you expect from a $40 amp?
    The DG-10 is a 10 watt-er, with an 8" (!) Celestion speaker.
    Why don't these amps get much love around here? Traynor especially. I don't work for them, nor am I a shiller, but I've only ever had good stuff from them. Add solid state amps to my list of good Traynor products.

www.maverickguitar.ca

that's good to know! i love getting cool sounds out of cheap seemingly "inferior" equipment. it gives me great joy

Comment

Its amazing how much those little solid-state amps have improved since I started playing back in the early 90's. I have a little Roland MicroCube that I have a ball with. In fact, since it is is what I noodle around on when I'm not doing a full-band rehearsals, it's the amp I play with the most.
      My gear: Reverend Avenger TL
      Reverend Slingshot
      Taylor 514CE
      Gibson Les Paul Standard
      Fender MIM Stratocaster
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Blues JR
      Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Some of my playing:
      http://www.thebloolights.com

Comment

SS amps get better all the time! I dig both of mine a lot!
        My Gear:
        2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
        2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
        1998 Squire MIM Stratocaster
        Takamine acoustic
        Fender P-Bass

Comment

I love my Tech 21 Trademark 10 -- great SS practice amp.

Comment

So many hear use their high dollar tube amps clean with a boost/dist pedal; no reason you can't run same pedals through a small SS amp.

I suffered through a Yamaha SS amp for years but liked a PV with "saturation" knob much better.

Comment

I always use two amps for stereo effects so at my rehearsal room I use an old Mesa S.O.B. (Mark I type tube amp), on the other side I use a Crate Powerblock. It's not beautiful sounding but it's by no means unlistenable. It's a handy little pleasant sounding head. My buddy borrows it for for gigs and uses it as a bass head. I forget what I paid for it but it was cheap - a great deal.

http://www.myspace.com/399453211

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=276061

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails

Comment

highest Logo:Amp ratio every achieved!

Comment

Traynor makes great stuff.
                  "All metal is muscle memory" - NeoAngelo

Comment

There is nothing inherently wrong with ss.

Comment

There is nothing inherently wrong with ss.

Yes there is!!!

...it isn't tube!!!

...heretic.
                      Guitar picture, Gear List, Clip List and travel pics from Peru, Sri Lanka, Mexico and Indonesia. Bonus: Some pics from Denmark too.

Comment

I use an old Fender Stage 2 X 12 red knob that I like.

Comment

Been enjoying an el-cheapo Rogue 2x10 combo lately. The OD is pretty fizzy but the cleans are good and it takes pedals well.

Comment

I've been singing the praises of the smaller Kustom stuff for years. On my workbench I have a Kustom KGA-10 that I got used at GC for $20. Just an amazing little amp. I also scour ebay for their KGA-65 model to replace the one I had years ago. Just can't be beat for the money.
                            I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

I am fully convinced that SS are superior for cleans.
                              One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X